Chapter X

“She can't do this!” Ashley shouted at me when I returned. “She can't give herself to slavery and live miserable. You have to stop this!”

“I can't. It is her choice and hers alone. She's made up her mind and I can't change it.”

“Yes, you can. Tell her that giving herself up as a slave isn’t the right choice.”

“I can’t. I wish I could.”

“That’s enough; let’s just get it over with so we can go home tomorrow.” She said getting in bed.

“I don’t want to see her as a slave any more that you do, but…”

“I said that’s enough.”

            I didn’t feel like fighting with her tonight. I decided to sleep in the other guys and give her space. Before I left, I noticed that her ring was on the nightstand. I slammed the door shut and went to the original room. On the way there, I found Melody.

“Shouldn’t you be resting for tomorrow?” she asked.

“I was, but how can I when the plan tomorrow is making everyone miserable?”

“Even yourself?”

“Ashley, too. We had a small fight.”

“Then why leave her alone?”

“She thinks I’m still in love with Brittney.”

“I don’t think that’s true. “

“Then why is she not wearing her ring?”

“Let me answer that question with a question: What does your heart tell you?”

            I took a moment and listened to my heart. It told me that it belonged to Ashley, but it also told me that I didn’t want to see Brittney suffer.

“I don’t want to see them both hurt.”

“There’s your answer.”

            She then walked away and I developed a strategy to save them both from the fates that were chosen for them by our enemies. I slept in my original bed that night giving Ashley some time alone.

            The next morning I woke earlier than the others so they wouldn’t notice I slept in the original room again. I grabbed my armor and quickly changed into it. I then went to the room were elf maidens were preparing Brittney for her new life of slavery to Ryan.

“Are you sure about this?” I asked her.

“It’s not like I haven’t been a slave before.”

“I know, but I have a plan to end this war with your freedom intact.”

“What plan?”

“You’ll see.”

            We then got on Vanilor’s saddle and flew to the Troll Kingdom. When we arrived, Ryan was sitting in his throne of bones in a high ledge in the rock. The trolls were in a circle around Vanilor, Brittney, and me.

“Offering me another prize, Matthias?”

“Not quite. We will fight but not to the death. Imprisonment will await the defeated.”

“And when I win, I claim the girl with my Queen.”

“Queen?” Brittney asked.

“Bring her out.” Ryan ordered a troll.

            The troll went in the back and brought forth a chain. He tugged on it and Ashley stumbled out. She was wearing a new slave outfit with a new collar and a golden crown on her head. Trolls come from behind and took Brittney up to Ryan. He inspected her and mentioned them to take her in the back.

“But the charm…”

“Needed both of you to work. You left her alone and vulnerable. That is what gave us the chance to steal her again.”

            I slapped myself mentally as I realized my mistake. This wasn’t supposed to happen. Now I had to improvise.

“You see, Matthias? You can’t win. Even with your powers and weak dragon.”

            Vanilor hissed and barred his fangs at Ryan’s insult, causing him to back away. Coward. I thought.

“I will show you who is weak after I tear you apart, false king.” He snarled.

“I believe that it is Matthias and I only to battle.”

            The troll then reappeared with Brittney, who was in an outfit identical to Ashley’s, but had a silver crown, instead of a gold one.

“Now, I have a queen, a servant to bear my children, and a magician.”

“Have to also enslaved a magician?” I asked.

“I am no one’s slave.” A new voice said.

            A young blonde girl then showed up and stood to Ryan’s right. He gave her a warm smile as he wrapped his arm around her waist.

“Let me introduce to my assistant, Courtney. I have cared for her ever since I found her on the street. Homeless and hungry. She’s been faithful to me ever since. You can kill him if you want.”

            Courtney then jumped from the ledge and brought forth a collapsible staff. I quickly drew Terris and we began fighting. She was amazing as a fighter. She used her speed to her advantage and landed a few good blows. My armor absorbed the bulk of the blows, but it still hurt. Vanilor didn’t interfere as this was my battle and if he stepped in it would be un-honorable. When she began to use magic, I changed tactics. I then decided to use a spell I read about, but never used. I fell back into a pit of hot coals I created with the spell and re-appeared behind her. I used the hilt of Terris to knock her out.

“If you can’t handle the heat, get out of dodge.” I said victoriously.

“No!” Ryan shouted. “That was an illegal tactic, therefore you forfeit.”

“She used magic first, that gave me the right.” I corrected him.

“Trolls, kill him!” he roared.

            The trolls then came in for me and Vanilor. He kept them at bay, by letting smoke billow from his mouth.

“Is this what you want? To be led by someone who enslaved you, just as you enslave others?” I asked.

            The trolls stopped advancing and looked at one another.

“You don’t have to listen to him. Don’t you want to be your own masters?”

Ryan caught on to my plan and added his own words.

“Don’t listen to him. I gave you a purpose. I gave you power!”

“He gave you one path. Everyone should choose their own, not have it chosen for them. No matter the species.”

“Who are you going to listen to? Your king or the enemy who was killed your friends and families?”

“You are not our king.” A troll spoke. “The Dragon Rider is right. We should chose for ourselves. Our friends and families were killed because of him!”

            He then pointed at Ryan and the troll next to him grabbed him.

“Don’t kill him!” I thundered. “If you kill him, he won’t learn his crime.”

“Very well, Dragon Rider.” The troll said.