Chapter VIII

I woke up and I was standing with my hands were chained above me. All I could see was darkness, so I knew I was blindfolded. I heard footsteps coming and a rough hand grabbed my face. “Could this one be sold?” I heard a troll. It opened my mouth to check my teeth.

“No. He is too dangerous. He would revolt before he would become a slave. He can go into the pit where he will be our entertainment.” another troll said.

“And this one?” the first troll asked.

“She will be the last item for sale. I expect a high bidding for her.” I heard Ashley scream as the trolls inspected her.

“Leave her alone!” I shouted.

“My, my he is a bold one. I expect him to fight to the death in order to gain his freedom.” the troll said. There was a punch delivered to my lower jaw.

“Do not interfere, boy.” one troll said.

            Then something caught my mind these trolls didn't speak like the other trolls we ran into and trolls were very stupid. They sounded more intelligent. I continued to hear Ashley's screams of displeasure as the trolls inspected her. Then she started whimpering and there was the smell of burning flesh as Ashley let out a scream of agony. Hearing her in that much pain was like torture to me.

“Oh, I can tell that the King will be interested in her. Not many human female slaves have this much beauty.”

“Plus, she is royalty.”

“Hmm. A slave princess. This will be a first.”

“Come, let's set the auction up.”

            I heard them leave and felt a sharp pain at the right side of my head. The blindfold fell and I saw that it was a piece of leather tied behind my head. Ashley had chewed off a section to release it. I looked at Ashley and she was in animal skins, just like the girl I saved in the last auction.

“Are you all right?” I asked.

            She shook her head and showed me her back there were large hand prints where she had been beaten. There was also a fresh brand on her left shoulder. It was a large S, for slave. We heard the auction start and people around us were brought out one-by-one to be sold.

“Now fellow trolls, we have a surprise for you. The final item. A girl of thirteen, pure, and royalty. Bring her out with the boy! I want him to see this.” the auctioning troll ordered. Two trolls came back and freed us from our chains. They quickly tied my hands behind my back and brought us out to the crowd. Two trolls held me down while Ashley stood alone with the auctioneer holding her arm so she wouldn't run.

“Here she is. The brown haired girl who can turn into a fish.”

The crowd laughed at his statement and a female troll called out “How much for the boy?”

The auctioning troll said. “He is not for sale.” and continued with Ashley's auction.

“She's young and beautiful. A fine slave for anyone. Due to her heritage, we'll start the bidding at ten-hundred.”

            Then there were many shouts, each higher than the last one. All I could do was watch as trolls fought for her.

“One hundred-thousand!” a voice shouted.

            I recognized this voice. I looked in the crowd and saw Ryan.

“The King bids one hundred-thousand on her. Going once, twice. Sold. That completes the auction. You can pick up your purchases around the back and please, stay tuned for the great Dragon Rider's demise. It will be in one hour.”