Chapter IX

“Dad?” I asked.

“It's me, Matthias.”

“How...you're dead.”

“My body, not my soul or spirit.”

“You're communicating through your spirit?” I asked.

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“Because I thought I would give you advice for battle tomorrow.”

“What advice?”

“Keep Vanilor close. With your dragon, any fight can be won.”

            He started to fade and his final words were “Congratulations on your engagement.” and he was gone. I walked out of the bathroom.

“Matthias, are you alright? You look like you've seen a ghost.” Ashley said.

“I did actually.” I said.

“What?”

“I saw the spirit of my father.”

“What did he want?”

“He gave me advice for battle and congratulated me on our engagement.” I said as I got in bed.

            She smiled at that and closed her book. I took it and read the title.

“Really?” I asked, giving it back to her.

“Well, it's not like the movie from before the Apocalypse. She has until the prince falls in love with someone else.” she said.

            I shook my head and she set it on her nightstand.

“This is reality, not a work of fiction.” I said.

            She pulled the blankets closer to her chest and turned her back to me. That was when I saw she had the Magical Language written on her back.

“What's that?” I asked.

“It's a blessing that Kirston wrote for us. What's it say?”

            I read it and said “May your life be filled with love, joy, and happiness may your children live every day with courage and beauty.”

“I'm gonna have to thank her for that.” she said.

I rubbed my hand on her bare back. She then laid down on her shoulder.

“Promise me that you'll wait for me until I return.” I said.

“I promise.”

             I wrapped my arm around her waist and pulled her closer.

“I love you so much.” she said.

“And I, you.” I said.

            We both fell asleep and I dreamed of our future. Vanilor and I were more powerful than ever and Ashley was expecting our child. I woke early the next morning, my body was telling me to get ready for battle. Ashley was still asleep. I would have given anything to stay in the bed with her. I got out and put on my armor. When I was finished, I looked back at her. Seeing her that peaceful, made me not want to leave her. I leaned down and kissed her forehead.

“I love you.” I said.

            I took my sword belt and left the room. I met Tom and the others outside the castle with an army. Melody was even fighting alongside us. After I saw her fight Javion, I knew she would be an asset to the fight. Vanilor, Pyro, Ventus, and Sangre landed by us.