Fragments

Windu's body ripples with energy, and his body makes quick contact with the glass windows behind me. I feel only a small twinge inside as he shatters through the fragile surface, his burnt body collapsing into the darkness of the night. With a cackle, the Chancellor raises his head to the ceiling, eyes hazed and unfocused. Uncomfortable, I am not sure how to respond--the two crumpled Jedi are just as motionless as I am, but I don't feel right. You have to do this, Anakin. It's the only way Padme will have a chance to live. Padme meant the world to me--more than the Jedi Code or my own life. It was a commitment that I would keep, even if it meant breaking every commandment that had been imprinted in my life. 

"Now...Anakin..."

       Gazing up towards him, I unfurl my fists and tear my focus away from the bodies and the fragmented, glass shards. Forcing myself to stare into the eyes of such a deceptive man, I swallow all of my pride and morality in order to appear stable. The Chancellor...or rather Darth Sidious, taps the table with his mangled fingertips. He seems completely unaware of the people he killed, or the lie he had unveiled. 

"Are you ready to save Padme?"

      I nod, almost too anxiously, but the desperation to keep her alive cleared all doubts and precautions of the situation.

"I will do anything."

         He grins again, sinister tyranny reigning from his entire composure.

"Then you will pledge yourself to the Dark Side. You will become my new apprentice--Darth Vader."

            I don't question the change of the name, or the feeling of darkness that spreads in my mind as I fall again to my knees. Bending my head, I mumble the binding promise with a fake measure of modesty. It hurts a little more knowing what I'll have to do for Padme--but she is the love of my life.

I'll do anything, even if it means killing everything that I had thought was right.

"I am all yours, Master."

     My eyesight fogs, until all I can see is seen through a filmy, garnet and yellow glaze. 

This was your destiny, Skywalker. 

      The voice in my head and the individual in front of me laugh together, and I hang my head in shame.