Chapter 27: Towards the Final Competition

Don't forget to vote & comment to support! It takes seconds but makes a big difference :) 

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

And so, I practically had one day left in the Ellington company ─or maybe more; it depends.

The final 'test', if I may call it, awaits us tomorrow.

The test in which I'll be facing Emeralds Velton right on the battle field!

I'll be up against her in the meeting which will be with the fourth ranked business company in London, The Grefford Company. Our project with it is practically one of high importance and significance, it's also one where which my destiny concerning my employment in the company will be decided.

I figured the significance of the project, because the president decided to make the whole test based on it, which clearly indicates how perfect he demands our work for it to be.

I let out a shaky breath, as I glanced at the red head sitting on her desk as she typed on the laptop before her. She was chewing her gum, and had finished two cigarettes since we came here, twenty minutes ago.

Gulping, I frowned at myself. She had been shooting daggers of venom ever since yesterday after the president cancelled the assignment grading for us. 

Why, of course she'd be pissed, you know, with all her hard and fair work she'd put into her submission, you know.

It's weird, when she first came, I had jumped into the conclusion that I'm going to lose before her for sure, considering she was recommended by some Chairman, as she said... But now, seeing that she stole my hard work in the common task which he assessed us in... it was obvious to me now that she's just a hypocrite, and doesn't believe in her personal work.

And so, I decided I still had a chance to stay here, and I am going to take this chance. Deep inside, I knew I did not want to leave. It's weird that, despite being an introvert that didn't directly feel comfortable around people, I...

I really felt a sense of belonding to this place. 

I didn't want to leave. 

I sighed. Well, back to work!

I typed all the data on a personal folder on my laptop, then transferred them into a USB cable, which I put in my pocket for protection. I won't let that cheater steal my work again!

We somehow finished our work together, the bubblegum and I, that is, and headed towards the elevator departure.

Ugh, damn. I have to handle about ten minutes with the same goddamned elevator as her! Oh, and her friendly aura really made me feel more than comfortable.

The elevator had already closed, and had started descending downwards when I heard her voice. There were a few moments of silence, but then I remembered there's no way she could be talking to any human present except me.

"So, did you pack your stuff? I mean, you should be ready to leave tomorrow." She blew her gum, and then licked it.

I glared at her.

"Humph, why would I? I don't really plan on leaving." I retorted, maintaining my composure.

She laughed, sarcastically.

"Trust me it won't be up to you." She came closer to tower me and appear superior. "I'll knock you off, and you'll lose this competition, Charlotte Thorne."

I gulped, fixing my shaking eyes into hers. 

The elevator pinged before I could retor, signaling we reached the departure floor.