Four

With his eyes shut he kept trying to block out the talking and laughter surrounding him.

The deep hammering in his head had gotten worse, and by now Nick was certainly regretting drinking in his first period earlier.

"Here." He heard a voice say, looking up he found himself staring into the glimmering blue eyes that undoubtedly belonged to none other than Mia Stanford.

With a small grin on her distinctively sharp face Nick focused on the aspirin pills in her right hand.

"What do I have to do?" His voice projected huskily.

Mia sighed and shook her head, "You're so stupid," She shoved the pills into his own hand, "You should know me better than that."

Shaking his head Nick leaned against the wall, "I do, and that's why I know you want something."

"It's Johnny." She hesitated to admit.

Johnny being Nick's best friend since kindergarten both of them knew everything about one another, of course lately they haven't really communicated after a falling out so it was weird that Mia would bring him up.

"Johnny? What about him?"

"He told me you guys haven't worked things out."

Scoffing Nick ran his hand through his hair, it ricochet lightly back into its natural messy self slowly.

A look that drove most girls crazy.

"He's the one who doesn't hang out with me anymore." 

"Yeah, because he's actually busy preparing for his future." Mia snapped at him,

"Ouch." Nick chuckled while a smirk tugged at the corner of his lips.

Touching her neck gently Mia sighed dramatically, "Go to the homecoming game."

"Nah I'm good."

"Just go." She urged.

"Why do you insist on shit that doesn't matter?" Nick asked examining her sullen expression.

"Because I miss the three of us being so close." She admitted twirling her thumbs around, examining her perfect French manicure.

"You're so fucking annoying."

"Whatever then." She barked in annoyance, Mia twirled around quickly and began to walk away,

"Wait." Nick called out as he stood up from the cafeteria bench, turning around Mia crossed her arms defiantly and stared up at him.

"Thanks for the aspirin."

Mia shrugged, "What happened to your face?" She pointed at the stitches in the corner of his mouth.

"Fight turned dirty."

"You're still street fighting?"

Nick nodded his head.

"You're going to end up being killed."

He laughed slightly, "Good."

"Good? You're a fucking idiot."

"Well you like this idiot." Nick teased getting closer to her body, looking at him menacingly she groaned and pushed him away.

"Just please go to the football game."

Nick took two steps back and lifted his hands up in a surrendering fashion.

"Deal, but you have to promise me I can get a kiss afterwards." Nick's mouth pulled into smirk.

"Fine, it's a date then." Mia replied turning on her heels to walk away from him as she flipped her golden locks off of her shoulder.

"Never said it was a date." He murmured under his breath, sticking his hands into his pockets he watched as the leggy blond strutted out of the cafeteria, she walked with such confidence.

Mia knew she was pretty but she wasn't stuck up or anything, she had something many people lacked and that was compassion and Nick liked that about her, but he couldn't tell her or they'd have a mix up like they did 2 years ago.

After all she still had the huge scar on her wrist and he noticed it earlier when they were speaking, and it began bringing back the memory of her failed suicide.

The failed suicide he triggered. 

Something he'll never forget he inadvertently caused.