Chapter Eight: Help Me

Adeen slowly woke up strapped down in a chair. She struggled against them trying to use her strength but they were impossible to break. She stopped after awhile out of breath and looked around the room she was in. Adeen had a feeling she knew where she was but wasn’t sure. She began to become worried slightly. She knew Loki would come after her since she did not make it back. She struggled more with the chains wanting to be free. She hated being trapped like an animal. The chains began to cut through her skin and she stopped her failed tries of setting herself free and looked down at her cut up and bloodied wrists. They began to heal rapidly before her eyes as she watched as the door to the room opened. Adeen slowly looked up seeing Steve walking into the interrogation room. Adeen just stared at him and kept her eyes on him as he took a seat opposite of her.

“Hello, Adeen…” he greeted stoically, looking at her.

Adeen just gazed at him not answering his greeting. She didn’t want to talk to any of them since they shot her with a tranquilizer after she had helped them. She then averted her eyes to another point in the room, not wanting to look at Steve.

“What is Loki up to, Adeen…?” Steve interrogated, folding his arms across his chest.

“I don’t have to tell you anything,” she slyly told him without looking his way.

“Why does he want to kill Thor?” Steve continued questioning.

“Not saying.” She answered tiredly rolling her eyes.

“Why did you go with him?” Steve inquired.

“You already know the answer to that.” Adeen answered him.

“God damn it, Adeen! Why are you acting like this?!”

“Because I’m pleading the 5th, that’s why.”

Loki was invisible and in the room. No one could see him. He was watching the interrogation keenly, making sure that she didn’t spill any secrets. He had his hands behind his back and he was in his normal mortal outfit. He smirked lightly as Steve was getting frustrated easily with Adeen’s stubborn behavior.

“Fine, answer me this one question and you’ll be done for questioning.”

“Hm, depends on the question.” Adeen slyly told him.

“Do you still love Loki?”

Adeen remained silent and looked down at her lap. Steve watched her, waiting for an answer. Loki stood there, wanting to know what her answer was. He couldn’t afford to lose her now. He had grown far too attached to her for the past month or so. Adeen slowly looked up at Steve with a pained and saddened expression.

“N-no…n-not anymore…” she answered truthfully in a hesitant tone.

Steve nodded his head slowly and stood up, walking out of the room, having gotten the answer he was looking for. Loki just stared at Adeen completely heartbroken and hurt by her words. It was Banner, he knew it. He knew that he had finally gotten to her. He clenched his hands into fists knowing his plans were falling deteriorating quickly. Adeen sighed sadly and looked down at the ground. She began thinking about Bruce and smiled weakly, before it slowly disappeared from her lips. She didn’t know how he could still love her after what she had done. It made no sense and it just felt too good to be true.

(Once Upon A Dream from Jekyll and Hyde)

“When it's all began,

We knew there'd be a price...

Once upon a dream,

I was lost in love's embrace.

There I found a perfect place,

Once upon a dream.

Once there was a time,

Like no other time before,

Hope was still an open door,

Once upon a dream.

And I was unafraid,

The dream was so exciting!

But now I see it fade...

And I am here alone!

Once upon a dream,

You were heaven-sent to me,

Was it never meant to be?

Was it just a dream?

Could we begin again!...

Once upon a dream.”

The lights began to flicker on and off, causing Adeen to look around curiously and slightly freaked out by the new events occurring. She began to freak out a bit, trying to remain calm. Loki then suddenly appeared before her, glaring down at her angrily. Adeen gasped lightly and clenched her hands slowly into fists seeing how angry and hurt he looked. She became nervous all of a sudden, her façade slowly dissipating. She began to wonder what he would do to her, knowing he had overheard the entire conversation between her and Steve. She could judge by his emotion filled eyes, and rigid posture. Everything about him screamed pissed off and in pain.

“Loki…” she weakly began before getting cut off.

“Silence! How dare you speak to me? I loved you and you throw it away for some monster! You lied to me!”

“No, no, no! I did not lie to you! Loki, please believe me, I did not ever lie to you…I never lied to you.”

Adeen desperately tried to assure him becoming more frightened and nervous from his anger. From the looks of things, this was going to end dreadfully. Loki growled angrily, his eyes narrowed. He waved his hand and the shackles around her wrists disappeared. He walked over to her and grabbed her roughly by the arm. Adeen tried fighting back but suddenly felt weakened and useless. She tried struggling again, trying desperately to get out of his hold.

“Let me go!” she yelled at him.

“You’re coming with me!” he angrily spat at her.

“BRUCE!” she screamed loudly, hoping someone would hear her.

~*~*~

Bruce walked down the hall towards the interrogation room to check on Adeen as Steve told him to do. He was halfway there when he stopped dead in his tracks hearing a scream come from up ahead.

“BRUCE!”

Bruce sprinted down the hall as fast as he could, knowing instantly that was Adeen and something was wrong. He ran into the room and froze in the doorway seeing Loki grasping tightly onto Adeen’s arm. She looked up at Bruce with fear and helplessness in her eyes, as she struggled to get out of his hold.

“Bruce, help me!” she exclaimed, choking on her words slightly.

“I’ll be seeing you soon, Banner.” Loki growled through his teeth as he disappeared, just when Bruce was going to help her.

“Shit!” Bruce exclaimed and sprinted out of the room, pushing past Steve and Tony who were hurrying down the hallway.

“Bruce, what the Hell is going on?” Tony demanded looking over his shoulder at his friend.

“Loki has Adeen and I think I know where he’s heading!”

Bruce disappeared around the corner hurriedly. Steve and Tony both looked at each other for a moment then sprinted after him.