A little white church

Start from the beginning

I was doing so well but then she took out the eye pencil for my water line and mascara. I point blank refuse to allow her to put these on me again. Not after last time. My eyes water just thinking about it. This is something I will do myself.
Bonnie is standing there watching me, I can see her glare in the mirror and it's putting me off. I rest my hands on the counter and look into the mirror but my eyes are on her not my own reflection. She got the message and left.

I did a half decent job and gave myself a pat on the back because i'm damn proud. Walking into the bedroom I saw my clothes laid out on the bed, Bonnie was nowhere in sight. I looked at the clock, 11:45. Shit.
We need to be on the road by 12. I hate being late, it's just unacceptable. Given traffic reports that I checked earlier plus allowing time for possibly getting lost and breaks including switching drivers it'll take us a total of three hours.
Yes I included time to switch drivers. After all it is Luke and I. Both in love with our cars, both unwilling to give up control and submit. He has this idea in his head that has popped up a few times since I met him and that is since he's the man, he believes he should be the one driving. Well I have a problem with that and i've expressed it on more than one occasion. This journey will be interesting to say the least.

With one final look in the mirror as I existed the room I ran my fingers through my hair allowing the curls to separate and fall naturally. I also rested my hands on the top of my thighs after flattening out the dress to get rid of any wrinkles and sort of reassuring myself that I am in appropriate attire for a christening however uncomfortable I may be. Which much to my own surprise is not that much. I must be coming accustom to showing a bit more skin than would be appropriate in the military. Unsure as to whether this is a recipe for disaster or a sign that maybe, just maybe, i'm starting to settle in.

Bonnie stood waiting for me at the foot of the stairs.
"Who knew? Yellow actually suits you" using my shoulder I gently nudged her as we both laughed. turning to face her I looked her dead in the eyes and whispered a soft thank you. Before she could question me the front door was already closing. The cool breeze nipped at my bare and hairless legs but without it the dead heat would be too much to stand. I heard a car running and only assumed it's Luke. Let the fun begin. However the sight in front of me was not the sight I had just mentally prepared myself for. In fact it's not a sight I had even considered I would be presented with. I was partially correct. Luke is in the running car but unlike I initially suspected he is in the back. The driver seat is occupied by a middle aged man about 5ft10 wearing a black hat and gloves. He exited the vehicle as I approached. On high alert I was weary at first
but his intentions were pure as he opened the door for me. As I sat into the strange vehicle I could feel Luke's eyes on me. They didn't leave me once until I acknowledge his gaze with a small smile.
"You'd make any girl conscious"
leaning slightly forward he engulfed my tiny hand in his and brought it to his lips placing a feather like kiss on the back of my hand. His soft lips contrasting to his rough hands.
"You're beautiful and don't ever let anyone make you think otherwise."
without making eye contact I whispered "beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes right to the bone" remembering what my mother had once told me.
"What?" Luke looked concerned and intrigued by my response. Damn werewolf hearing.
"What's the whole point of being pretty on the outside when you're so ugly on the inside?" I just showed my hand. Realizing my mistake I quickly changed the subject. Luke must have gotten the vibe that I don't want to talk because he didn't put up a fight or question me, he too simply moved on.
Luke kindly explained that as part of our Christmas present Scott and Dave hired this car to escort us to the christening p and also paid for night in a four star hotel nearby for us. I knew thos boys had something up their sleeve.

The end of the journey came about a lot quicker than I expected. Luke and I talked none stop the entire car ride. His hand also never left mine. A few times he tried more than hand holding but it just didn't seem right seeing as we were on our way to a church.
Watching him attempting to regain some shred of self control as my fingers danced across his chest and trailed up and down his knee proved to be a great source of entertainment. His weakness proved to be a simple sultry voice while whispering in his ear.
Each time I pulled away before he could touch me to remain in control, he grew more frustrated.
The journey was also filled with laughter and just constant happiness. Luke always manages to make me forget all my problems. When i'm with him, nothing else matters. Nothing else crosses my mind but him and some R rated scenarios. Randomly throughout the trip Luke made subtle comments and dropping compliments. I guess he believes if I hear it more often then i'll grow to accept it but the truth of the matter is every time I look in the mirror I see nothing but the remains of a soldier that once was. A marine with blood on her hands and scares that tell the stories that I don't want to be reminded of. How can someone like me be beautiful?
Death, destruction and war leaves no beauty but ugliness. Ugliness within each solider in the form of memories. Memories of those that were taken from us and the lives we took.

Stepping out of the car Luke was right beside me. His arm encircled my waist as he held me safe. As if i'm some precious jewel and he's a guard in charge of my safe keeping. We approach the church 15 minutes early, which although may sound weird, made me very happy.
I took note of the cars already parked outside the little white church. The town is small and unusually quiet. Not a soul in sight. Doesn't really scream Scott and Dave. Luke pushed open the giant wooden door and held it open for me, like a true gentleman.
I spotted two elderly couples seated in the second row on opposite sides. It never made sense to me, why would they choose to have the christening here instead of at home with friends and family?
Luke and I chose a seat and made ourselves comfortable. I observed as Luke looked around in amazement. This isn't your regular church. This little church may seem like nothing on the outside but inside it really does take your breath away. Ornate stain glass windows, marble alter, oak pews, various flower arrangements placed near statues and candles. I am not be a person of faith but I have been to more than my fair share of churches, many of which I wish I never had to step foot in but life is cruel and war is merciless.

Minutes passed as we remained the only people in the church. The silence soon becoming overbearing. The elderly couples kept shooting us glaces, trying to be discreet but failing miserably. The clock just stroke three as the doors opened again and the church came to life. Floods of people entered. Luke slung his arm over my shoulder and pulled me close as I look for familiar faces in the crowd. Person after person passed. nearly every face ringing a bell but my memory is currently failing me. I can't place them. A light tap on my shoulder caught both Luke and I's attention. Standing behind us is Scott and Dave in matching grey suits holding Aubrey's hands. Dave leaned down "okay maybe we left a few things out"

----------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note:

What are the boys up to?

Comment, vote, eat pizza and enjoy.