The Sins of the Father

Chapter Eighteen

"Knight of Camelot."

I stand next to Arthur while Uther conducts a knighting ceremony for a few men who have just passed our test. I got to train them for the most part, and they faced Arthur in the end battle. It's a full prove training regiment. I train them, they kinda get to know my fighting style. Then Arthur fights them, a completely new person. Even he admits it's a brilliant idea of mine.

"You've been called to a great honour." I roll my eyes, here he goes again. "With that honour, comes responsibility. From this day forth, you are sworn to live by the knight's code. You have pledged to conduct yourselves with nobility, honour, and respect."

Did I pledge all this stuff?

I don't remember.

"That is your sacred bond. You will find no know who has these values then my son, Arthur. Follow his example, and prove yourselves worthy of your title."

I chuckle a little and he kicks me as inconspicuously as he can.

Pathetic kick, it didn't even hurt.

The sound of clashing swords meets my ears, and my whole body becomes ridged. Arthur notices, and gives me an odd look. Then the noise comes again, louder and closer, so everyone can hear. All eyes turn to the door as a knight, clad in silver walks in.

We draw out swords, and Arthur and I walk to the front of the group of men. The silver knight walks up to us, and takes off their arm piece, and throws it in front of Arthur.

I move to take it, but Arthur puts his sword in front of me, stopping me. He bends down, and picks it up, accepting the challenge.

"I accept your challenge," he says. "If I am to face you in combat would you have the curtsey of reveling your identity?"

The knight removes their helmet, reveling a head of blond curls.

My heart stops as I stare into a woman's face.

"My name is Morgause," she tells everyone.

Oh no, your name is dead bitch.

~~**~~

"I agree with Uther, you have to back out of the challenge!" I say, attempting to convince Arthur to not fight her.

"And why would I do that?" He asks.

"Because she'll destroy you! I see it in her eyes, she's evil!"

"I'm not scared of a woman."

I shake my head, "You should be. Have I not taught you anything? She would humiliate you, in public. It would be like me defeating you, except everyone sees it."

"I think I'm used to a humiliating defeat by a woman by now."

I smirk, that's true, he should be.

"Only this time, your father will see. Has he ever seen me beat you? No, he hasn't. Don't go through with this Arthur. It's a fight to the death."

"I can't break the code."

"We'll damn the code! You could die out there! And I don't think I'd be able to live with myself if I let you die. Actually, you know I won't be able to. We've been over this before."

"And I'll tell you what I told you last time, I won't break the code."

Right as I'm about to smack some sense into him, Merlin comes walking in.

I hold up my hand, "I've already given him the speech. He won't listen."

Arthur sighs, "Merlin, take a message to Lady Morgause for me. Ask her to coincide her challenge. If I were to do it it would make me look like a coward."