The Poisoned Chalice

Chapter Six

"Kat you need something green. Find something green!" Arthur yells at me.

"I don't have anything green! Why green? And there's no way in hell you're convincing me to wear a dress."

"You have to look somewhat presentable! And green because you have to represent your kingdom, not ours."

"Come on now, I'm always presentable."

He rolls his eyes at me.

"How about this, full body armor, my armor, with a green cape. Would that make you happy?"

"It'll have to do. I'll have Gwen in to help you."

"No, I'm fine. I know how to put on my own armor. Unlike some people I know."

He lets out a breath and leaves my room. I replace my normal breast plate with my full body armor, complete with a metal six pack. Quite nice of the Spartans to add that if you ask me.

I pull a green cape on over top of it, pull my already overly long brown hair back into a pony tail, and go out to where Arthur told me to.

Apparently there's gonna be some huge peace gathering. For some reason I'm a guest of honor or something, I get to sit with the nitwit at the table. That's my new name for Arthur, nitwit.

Oh right, I'm royalty from another kingdom, and this is all about making peace between kingdoms. I guess I'm going to be the ambassador from Greece.

Wait, he just told me that, didn't he? Something's he says go in one ear and out the other with me.

I get to represent a country I've only actually been in once. How smart of them.

"They're not going to like that you're not wearing a dress," Arthur tells me once we've lined up and are waiting for Uther's orders.

I get to walk next to the nitwit too. This day just keeps getting better and better.

"Well they'll just have to deal with it."

Uther motions for us to move, and we walk out in triangle formation toward men in blue, also in a triangle. The men around me are all wearing red.

I stick out like a sore thumb.

Just my luck.

"Camelot welcomes you," Uther says once both sides have drawn close to each other. "Lord Bayard of Mercyer."

{A/N: I spelled that wrong, I'm sorry, I can't spell.}

"The treaty we sign today, marks an end to war, and the beginning to a new friendship between our people."

Why can't I just stand on the side like Merlin?

Uther extends his hand, and Bayard takes it and shakes it. Everyone else in the room starts clapping, and I follow suit.

A girl from the people-wearing-blue side of the room catches my eye. She wears a blue turban around her head, and she's staring straight at Merlin.

~~**~~

"Are you sure you don't need help Kat?" Gwen asks as she lays a green dress out on my bed.

I shake my head, "Nope, cause I'm not wearing that. I'm wearing my armor, with a nice green shirt over it or something. Or I'll keep my cape, because I quite like it." I pull a green shirt out of my closet and hold it up. "Like this. Or the cape... Your choice."

"But you have to. The ladies all wear dresses."

"Not in my kingdom they don't. It would be offensive to me if I was forced to wear a dress. It goes against my people's culture."