The Mark of Nimueh

Chapter Four

"This is not going to go over well," Arthur warns me as we make our way down to the training grounds for the first time since I was knighted.

"Don't worry, I'm prepared to teach all of them a lesson, if I have to." I decided on full body armor just in case I'd need to do any lesson teaching. I have a strong feeling I will.

"And what would that lesson be?"

"I believe I've already given it to you."

He turns his head away from me, remembering when I beat him the other day. I've got something to hold over the head of the prince. Fancy that.

"Alright, listen up," Arthur calls to the soldiers once we reach the green. "Lady Martir over here," I nod to them and Arthur draws in a breath. "Has been appointed second in command by Uther."

The men on the field instantly start protesting. I roll my eyes, lesson teaching time.

"Alright then, so you don't like having a girl as your commander, do you?" I ask them over top of all the complaining. They all heartily agree.

"Well then, whoever wants to challenge me, may."

They all push forward at once, eager to beat the girl. Yeah, good luck with that.

Arthur shoots me a look of annoyance, but doesn't object to my challenge.

One of the knights manages to get in front of all the others, and comes up to me.

I smile at him, and draw my sword. I can feel the knights staring at the weird short sword. Deal with it.

"You want to challenge me then? Good. Kicking and hitting allowed? Whoever is disarmed first?" I turn to Arthur, smirking at him, remembering how I beat him.

He continues to glare at me, but nods.

I put my helmet on, give the knight a cocky smile, and wait for him to come at me.

He does, predictably, and goes right for my stomach, also predictable. At least fighting Arthur was a challenge, I'll give him that.

I duck under his swing, and strike at his right leg. He steps to the left, and swings low for my head. I jump up and over his blow, all at the same time. Even with my helmet and the leg pieces on, I still manage to get the whole way up. Sweet, I'm getting better at my jumping skills.

He goes for my right side, not even giving me time to get in a blow of my own. I side step to the left, and meet his blade with mine. I twist my wrist quickly, making my sword go around his I flick my wrist to the right, and his sword goes flying out of his hand and to his right.

He pulls his helmet off, and looks at me, his eyes wide and his mouth hanging open.

I twist my sword in my hand, "Who's next?"

~~**~~

"I think I scared them quite well," I say to Arthur triumphantly as we head back up to the castle.

"Yeah, I think you've gained a bit of respect."

"A bit?"

"You really expect them to just trust you after you randomly come in and claim second in command? Because its not gonna happen."

I shake my head. "That's pathetic. It's just because I'm a girl, isn't it?"

"Does it not work like that where you're from?"

"No! One of the best fighters in my country, besides me is a girl. She even got to... never mind."

"Arthur," one of the place guards calls to him. "The king wants to see you."