The Once and Future Queen

Chapter Fourteen

I lean against the wooden walls of the arena, watching Arthur practice for the jousting tournament. Lets just say he was very shocked when I told him I'd never jousted. Its not a thing in Greece.

The sun reflects of the man's armor that he's up against, and temporarily blinds him. Arthur leans to the side, probably bracing for impact, but an impact that never comes. The other man pulls his lance away so as not to hit Arthur.

Arthur jumps angrily off his horse. "Why did you pull out, I was wide open? You could have unhorsed me."

I slowly make my way over to where he's standing.

Wait, unhorsed is a thing?

"I was afraid I might injure you sire," the man replies.

"You had the advantage, you can't afford to hesitate."

"I wouldn't have done if I were facing a different opponent. You are the future king my lord."

"You jousted against me in the tournament last year, are you saying you let me win?"

He shakes his head. "No, my lord."

Yeah, sure.

Arthur turns and faces the other men. "It doesn't matter who I am. I do not expect any special treatment from you, from any of you. Is that understood?"

They all nod, and he stalks out of the rink. I run after him.

"If its any consolation I would never, ever just let you beat me."

"Shut up Trina."

I love it when he calls me that.

Oh gods, what?

What the hell is happening to me?

~~**~~

"How am I going to prove myself if my opponents aren't trying there hardest?" Arthur rants to Merlin and me.

"I'm sure its not happening all the time," Merlin offers.

Yeah, don't ever expect me to go soft on you.

"So its happening some of the time?"

"No, I'm certain it isn't."

"Now you're doing it!" Arthur snaps at Merlin. "You're telling me exactly what you think I want to hear!"

"Yes." Arthur turns to face Merlin. "Ah, no. What was the question?"

Arthur sighs. "That just proves it. All my life I've been treated like I'm special. I just want to be treated like everyone else."

"Really?" Merlin asks, not believing it.

"You have no idea how lucky you are, both of you."

Yeah uh, I got the whole girl thing going on which isn't exactly making me equal in this time period. More so actually, in Sparta.

"Well, any time you want to swap places just let me know."

"That's not a totally stupid idea."

Oh gods Arthur. This can't be good.

"You're Prince Arthur, you can't change who you are."

Arthur looks out the window, formulating a plan. "Yes I can."

"First off, don't even think about it, what ever you're thinking of. I'm quite scared. And secondly, you think you have it bad? How do you think I feel? I've been treated differently all my life because of who I am. I've never had any real friends, never been able to go out and do stuff like normal people do. I'm expected to spend all of my damn time training, and nothing else, because apparently, that's all I'm good at."