Excalibur

Chapter Nine

"Do you solemnly swear to govern the people of this kingdom and its dominions by the statutes, customs, and laws laid down by your forebears?" Uther asks Arthur.

I smile as I watch him, kneeling in front of his father, looking all grand and princely.

Is that even a word?

"I do sire," he replies.

"Do you promise to exercise mercy, and justice in all your deeds and judgements?"

Do you?

"I do sire."

And your gonna do a hell of a better job at that than Uther.

"And do you swear allegiance to Camelot for now, and as long as you shall live?"

Uther holds out some kind of wood sceptre to him.

He grabs the sceptre thing. "I, Arthur Pendragon, do pledge life and limb to your service. And to the protection of the kingdom and its peoples."

I smile at Arthur, pride welling up in my chest. I'm so proud of him, my little nitwit is growing up.

And so am I.

Uther walks over and takes a crown from a servant holding it. "Now, being of age, and heir apparent, from henceforth, you shall be crowned prince of Camelot."

Everyone in the room claps, and I beam at him as he turns and faces the people in the room.

I went with my full body armor and green cape for this, thought I'd dress up a little.

He looks so handsome when he's being all proper...

Wait, what?

The sound of breaking glass echoes through the throne room. I look up, and see a man on horse jumping through the window at the far side of the room.

All the knights in the room simultaneously draw their swords, me included.

Duh, I'm a knight here.

"What in the devil's name," I hear Uther say.

I move up and stand next to Arthur, facing the man on the horse.

The man wears a black helmet, a pitch black cape, carries a black shield, ans rides a black horse. Someone's goth. Do they even have goth right now?

He slowly rides closer to us, and I tense up, poised to attack. He takes off his hand cuff part of his armor, and tosses it to the ground.

He's just laid down a challenge for any knight willing to accept.

I'm a knight. I'm willing to accept anyone's challenge.

Arthur and I both move at the same time to pick it up, but are both beaten.

"I, Sir Owien, accept your challenge."

Bastard. I wanted to do that.

The black knight turns to face him. "Single combat, noon tomorrow, to the death." The knight turns around, and slowly rides out.

To the death? Damn it I'm amazing at those.

But why would someone ride in and crash a huge party, just to challenge someone to the death?

As far as I know, that's not normal.

~~**~~

*again, apologizing for spelling...*

"He shouldn't have picked up the golet," Arthur snaps at Morgana.

"So put an end to this," she replies.

I shake my head. "The challenge has been taken, the fight cannot be stopped."

"Then one of you fight in his place!"

"We can't," Arthur tells her.

"Why not?"

"Owien picked up the golet, Owien is the one who must fight. That is the knight's code. He knew that."

"But its a fight to the death," Morgana protests.

"I know."

And you have no idea how much I'd love to be out there, fighting for my life. That's what I was trained to do, and what I plan to do.

~~**~~

"Look at him, just standing there," I mutter to Arthur.

He nods, "I know." He turns to where Merlin is helping Owien get ready for the fight. "You've never fought in mortal combat before, its different."

Not really.. Kind of... Maybe...

"Its not like the training I've been giving you."

"Yeah, I know."

Arthur grabs him and spins him around to face him. "Listen to me. The problem is, we've never seen him fight. You have to quickly get the measure of him."

Good luck with that. Those knights are so stupid, they still haven't worked out my fighting style.

Maybe because its so different.

"I have the same advantage, he's never seen me fight."

"True..."

"You've watched me."

"Yes."

"And?"

"And I know no one braver." I open my mouth to counter him, but Arthur puts his hand over my mouth before I can even make a sound.

Damn him and his knowing me so well.

"Remember," Arthur says sincerely. "All it takes to kill a man is one well aimed blow."

Owien turns to go just as Gwen comes in.

"The Lady Morgana asked me to give you this token, she wishes you wear it for luck."

"You can thank her, and tell her I shall wear it with pride, but I won't need luck."

I roll my eyes, cocky bastard.

Fatal flaw, cockiness.

Arthur's is his pride.

Merlin's is how rash he his, and how he'll do something without thinking of the consequences, like using magic.

And mine is my loyalty to others, my willingness to put their lives before mine on a battlefield.

Someday, I will die from someone on a battlefield, I just don't know who for, and when yet.

~~**~~

"The fight will be to the knight's rules," Arthur announces. I sit in the middle of Morgana and Gwen, in the first row around the rink. Or would it be an arena?

"To the death." Arthur takes his seat next to Uther. "Let battle commence."

The black knight gets in most of the blows, pounding continuously on Owien's shield. I shake my head as I watch him just stand there and take the blows.

Eventually, the black knight hits him hard enough to knock him off balance. He regains his balance, and they go at it again.

The black knight kicks him to the ground, but Owien rolls out of the way of his next hit. He stands back up, and I hear Arthur hiss at him, "One well aimed blow!"

Owien doubles back, and strikes him square in the chest, delivering the kill shot.

The black knight continues to attack him, completely unharmed.

That is most defiantly not supposed to happen.

The black knight knocks him over, and he falls hard. It takes its sword, and bring it down, right dead center of Owien's body.

I close my eyes and draw in a deep breath. I was right. Sometimes I hate it when I'm right.

The knight turns away from the man he has just kills, and turns to face the other knights.

He takes off his arm piece. "Who will take up my challenge?"

I make a move to take it, but Morgana and Gwen both grab me to stop me. I see Arthur make the same move, but Uther stops him.

Another of our knights jumps down from the stands.

"I, Sir Pelinore, accept your challenge."

"So be it," the black knight replies. It turns and walks away, and I look to see Arthur's eyes blazing.

Uther gets up and goes away, and I go over to Arthur.

"You saw what I saw, didn't you?"

He nods, "Yes, I did. And I should have been the one to take that challenge."

I shake my head. "No, I should have. I've had more experience with mortal combat than I'd like to admit."

Lets see here. About one billion monsters that I've faced, the Titans, the Giants, Luke, more monsters... The list goes on forever.

"No Kat, I could never let you do that."

I smirk, "What? Don't think I can handle it?"

He sighs, "No... That's not why.."

"Then why?" I demand.

He shakes his head, and runs off after Uther.

I'll get that information out of you if its the last thing I do.

~~**~~

There it is. The one well aimed blow. Sir Pelinore has killed the black knight.

He pulls the sword out, and the thing just continues to stand there.

Ok, this just breaks ever rule in the book.

The black knight finishes off Pelinore, and turns back to face Uther and Arthur.

Before I have a chance to do anything, Arthur throws down his arm piece. "I, Arthur Pendragon, challenge you."

Damn it Arthur.

"So be it."

"Single combat, noon, tomorrow."

The knight picks up its sword and walks away.

I turn to Arthur and shake my head at him. He gives me a look, and stalks off to the castle.

I jump out of the stands and run over to Gaius and Merlin.

"What is it, and how do you defeat it?"

The share a glance.

I give them both an exasperated look. "I've seen millions of monsters, I've fought billions. I think I know when something's not normal, and that thing, what ever it is, is not normal."

Merlin looks at me. "We think its somekind of undead warrior, conjured from the grave by very powerful magic."

I follow them out of the arena and back down to their house.

"If Arthur fights that thing he'll die," Merlin says.

"He is Camelot's strongest warrior, if anyone can defeat it he can."

I roll my eyes, but decide against saying anything.

"You said yourself, no mortal weapon can kill it, which means we have to find a way to defeat the Raeth ourselves."

"And how do you propose to do that?"

"If no mortal sword can kill it," He runs up to his room, then comes back down with his book. "Then I will."

I shake my head. "What about my sword? It wasn't fored by a mortal, it was made specifically for me by the gods. Its celetial bronze, which will only kill immortals, monsters, and..."

And demigods. Not that you need to know that.

'"Would Arthur use it?"

"Probably not... he hates this thing."

"How did you get a sword forged by the gods?" Gaius asks me.

"Long story."

Gaius turns to Merlin. "Merlin its too dangerous."

"We don't have a choice."

He continues to flip through the book, looking for some kind of spell to destory the Raeth.

I nod to both of them, and run back up to the caslte to find Arthur.

~~**~~

"No one but you and I will ever know the secret of Arthur's birth."

I stop in my tracks, and lean up against the wall. That was Uther. What is he hinding?

"The boy is of age, he should know."

Gaius.

"Never. You made an oath, I warn you not to break it."

"Very well sire," I hear Gaius say.

I sneak past the doorway, and sprint down the hall toward my room.

I see Merlin run past the door to my room, and I follow after him.

"You have to pull out," I hear him tell Arthur.

"And why's that?" Arthur replies.

I lean against the door frame and wait for Merlin to leave so I can talk to him myself.

"Because he'll kill you!"

"Why does everybody think that?"

"Because they're right! Just pull out. You're the crowned prince, no one wants to see you die over some stupid challenge."

"I'm not a coward."

"I know that. I've stood there and I've watched you overcome every fear you've ever faced."

"That's what's required of me."

"You're more than that, more than merely a warrior. You're a prince, a future king. You've proved your courage, but you must prove your wisdom."

I smile and nod at Merlin's words.

"I'm not backing down."

"Please Arthur listen to me, this is no ordinary knight."

Don't tell him Merlin.

"Look at him." He walks over to the window. "He doesn't eat, he doesn't sleep. Just... stands there, in complete silence." Arthur proceeds to ignore him. "Doesn't that tell you something?"

"No one is unbeatable."

"If you fight him, you will die."

"I'm not listening."

"I'm trying to warn you Arthur."

"And I'm trying to warn you Merlin," he snaps.

Merlin nods and leaves. I continue to lean against the door frame.

He turns and faces away from me. "What do you want Kat."

"Merlin pretty much said it."

"I'm not backing out."

I sigh "You have to. It will kill you. I know how you fight better than anyone, and I know you can't beat it. No one can."

"What makes you so sure of that?"

"You saw it too, I know you did. Both of them got clear kill shots, but the knight just stood there, completely unharmed. I've never faced its likes before, and I've faced millions upon millions of monsters."

"Why do you doubt me so much?"

"Let me take your place! Let me die for you! I haven't got much to lose, but if you die, and entire kingdom is doomed! Your life is worth so much more than mine."

"Don't talk like that Kat," he snaps at me. "You're just as important as me."

I chuckle and shake my head. "I'm really not. I am nothing, that's all I ever have been and ever will be. Just a shadow that no one knows, or cares about. I should have chosen death when I had the chance."

He turns around to face me, and shakes his head at me. "You are not nothing, Kat, you are so much more. If I let you die for me I would never be able to forgive myself, knowing it could have been me."

"And I would never forgive myself if you die. Its my fatal flaw, how I believe so little in myself. How I'll lay down my life any day to save another's."

"That day is not today."

"Yes it is," I snap a him. "I can't let you just die, you know you will. You know you can't defeat that thing. I will fight that in your place, there's nothing you can do to stop me."

I turn to go.

"No Kat." He grabs my arm and pulls me back. "I'm not letting you go out there and fight for me. This is my battle and my battle alone. I won't let you lay down your life in my place... You... you mean too much to me for me to just let you die for me."

I stop trying to fight him grip, and face him, my face wiped of all facial expressions. "I... I actaully mean something to you?"

I don't mean anything to anyone.

He turns away from me. "Why do you think I didn't want you to take up the challenge? I can't just stand there and watch someone... I care about die when it could have been me."

"And I can't do that either!"

Someone knocks at the door.

"I've brought you something that might help you sleep," Gaius says as he opens the door. Arthur lets go of my arm and I stalk off to the other side of the room.

"Fine, but I don't need it," Arthur tells him.

"Here, it will relax you, take the edge off the nerves."

He takes the vial and downs it in one gulp.

"I won't drink it for pleasure."

"Why don't you sit down for a moment?"

Oh Gaius, what are you doing?

He walks over and sits down on his bed. "Forget about the taste, the after affect is... quite pleasurable."

Gaius nods. "Just lay back."

He lays down onto the bed, and instantly falls asleep.

I smirk. "What could you possibly be up to Gaius?"

He turns to face me. "I could ask the same thing."

"We were arguing. That's it. But what are you doing? Druggining him, no? But why? Is that going to keep him out long enough? Who's taking his place? I'll do it if I have to."

Thinking out loud, sometimes I do it too much.

"No, you aren't taking his place, Uther is. And yes, I drugged him and he should be out long enough."

"He'll go crazy when he wakes up. I'll stay here to calm him down, you can lock the door from the outside, I can unlock it if I have to."

"Are you sure?"

I nod. "Yeah, go. I'll make sure he doesn't get out when he wakes up."

Gaius nods and leaves the room, locking it from the outside. I sit down in a chair next to his bed, and lean back, sleep slowly claiming me.

~~**~~

I stand by the window, looking down on the arena.

I hear movement behind me, and I move out of the way as Arthur rushes to the window, finally awake.

"Kat..." I hear him whisper. "No Kat, no..."

"I'm right here you nitwit," I say to him. He turns around to face me, and a look of relief washes over his face, but only for a second.

"But if you're here, then..."

He runs to the door and slams it, attempting to open it. He turns to me.

"Kat, let me out!"

I shake my head. "I can't, I don't have the key."

"Who is it Kat? It should be me damn it! Let me out!" He continues to bang on the door while yelling at me to let him out, and to tell him who it is.

"Shut up!" I yell at him. He ignore me and continues to try to break out.

What do you do when you want someone to shut up but they just won't?

I have no other choice, right? I have to get him to calm down and shut up, right?

I grab his arm, pull him around, and draw myself up to his height.

I can't do it...

"Will you shut up, and calm down?" I hiss at him, backing out of my original plan. "Listen, the fighting has stopped, and someone has won."

He shuts up, and listens to the cheers of the crowd below. Uther won... But how?

Imma go with the meddling fool Merlin...

"He won..." I muse, letting go of Arthur's arm and walking over to the window.

"Who won?"

I let out a breath. "Uther."

"Uther? He took my place? How... He drugged me! He had Gaius drug me..."

"For a good reason. He did what I should have done, he saved your life."

Arthur shakes his head at me. "No, you shouldn't have taken my spot, and I'm glad you didn't."

I turn around, and he's right in front of me. "But..." I start.

He puts his finger over my mouth, and a chill goes down my spine. "No buts. I couldn't live with myself if you'd have done that. Now get me out of here."

I take a step back and smile at him. "I really don't have a key."

He rolls his eyes at me. "Now who's the nitwit?"

I beam at him. "Forever and always you."

~~**~~

I follow Arthur as he bursts in on Uther and Gaius' conversation.

I lean against one of the pillars in the room as he approaches Uther.

"You had Gaius drug me," he growls at Uther. "I was meant to fight!" Uther shakes his head. "The knight's code..."

"Be damned," Uther interrupts him. "I believed you would die and that was a risk I could not take. You are too precious to me. You mean more to me than anything I own, more than this entire kingdom, and certainly more than my own life."

I smile, so Uther does actually feel emotions other than hatred.

Arthur looks at him, confused. "I always thought... that I was a big disappointment to you."

"Well that is my fault and not yours. You are my only son, and I wouldn't wish for another."

Aww! I wish I had...

Never mind...

"I heard you fought pretty well," Arthur says, changing the subject.

"Thanks."

"You should join us for training, sort out your footwork."

And holy shit I would get the chance to defeat a king?

Oh this just keeps getting better and better.

"I'll show you footwork." He goes at Arthur, and Arthur runs out, grabbing me and pulling me along with him.

I laugh at him as he pulls me. He glares at me, but smiles anyway.

"I'm glad you didn't fight today, what would I do without someone to make fun of everyday?" I say to him, smiling.

He smiles back. "I'm glad you didn't take my place. What would I do without my loyal Kitty Kat?"

I roll my eyes at him, but don't reply.

I am glad he didn't die, because I don't know what I'd do without him.

~~**~~

A/N: And their friendship keeps building... isn't it soo cute?? Well it is to me... I'm working on another chapter with a greek monster... I've already started it, but i dont know when imma throw it in.. not yet though, but soon! and no i won't tel you which monster it is! Next chapter is episode 10 cause i love that one too! XD

Love,

Kateeeeee