Chapter 17: Happy Halloween

I smelt the coffee before I even woke up. Instead of making me overly excited, the coffee gave me chills. Ever since Quinn's coffee machine practically killed me, coffee had made me slightly nervous. It shouldn't have made me feel that way, but somehow it did. Maybe I just wanted Aspen to keep delivering me coffee every morning. That would've been quite nice.

Mom had called Sam and me down to eat breakfast. That meant that when I walked out of my room, I stumbled right into my twin. And in the morning, she was an even worse mega bitch.

"Ew, can you please warn me before you come into the hallway?" Sam hissed. I swore that she could never speak without sounding cruel.

"Go back to your room, because clearly you need some more beauty sleep," I responded with a wink.

"Oh whatever Isabella."

I sighed and followed her down the stairs. It honestly bothered me how much we disliked one another. More than anything, I just wanted to be able to walk through the house and feel safe, but instead I felt like I always had to watch my back.

"Girls." Mom smiled once we reached the kitchen. In her hand were two cups of steaming coffee. Quickly, I ran over and grabbed the blue mug and began drinking.

"What is the coffee for?" Sam asked with caution. Her hand gradually reached out for the drink.

Slowly, I took the coffee away from my lips. Sam was right. Mom never made us coffee; we always had to make it for ourselves.

"It's Halloween!" Mom exclaimed. A smile was plastered to her face.

Sam and I exchanged a looked.

"We know," Sam said.

"Am I going to make you two a costume?" Mom threw her hands up in excitement.

I let out a sigh. "Mom, we don't need costumes anymore."

"Yeah, and besides I'm going to a party," Sam announced. "I'm going dressed as a cheerleader." She shrugged.

"How creative," I mumbled and Sam sent me a glare.

"Okay, well what about you Ella?" Mom smiled. She wanted to make a costume so badly, even though she honestly sucked at making them.

I shook my head. "I'm going over to Caleb's house to watch a movie."

"Cheating on Aspen?" Sam snorted. That made me give her a glare.

"What was that Sam?" Mom asked.

"Nothing," I quickly said. Mom and Dad wanted me to tell them the instant I began dating Aspen, but I really didn't want to tell them. Couldn't it just have been my secret?

"Okay." Mom frowned. "So no costumes?"

Sam and I shook our heads.

"Alright then." Mom looked between us. "Then no coffee for you!" She yelled and seized the mugs.

"Mom!" Sam and I both shouted.

"It's going to stunt your growth." Mom waved us away. "It's really bad for you," she explained as she drank from the cups.

"Thanks," I said to Mom as I left the room.

"Love you two," she laughed.