Chapter 3: What are you Doing Here?

Above is a picture of Aspen Carder :)

Chapter 3: What are you Doing Here?

"Two scoops of chocolate chip, vanilla, and java chip." Caleb rambled off Quinn's and mine ice cream orders.

I thanked Caleb while Quinn and I sat on a bench outside the store. The air was thick with heat and even when the wind blew it just felt even hotter. Ice cream was needed, especially considering the weather.

"I can't believe I got sick," Quinn sighed and slouched onto the bench.

"I can't believe Becca was having fun," I laughed.

Becca was the kind of girl who studied 24/7. She was always looking for extra credit and trying to do whatever she could to get ahead in classes. Her dream college was Harvard, so it was necessary for her to be a try hard. Even if she wasn't a try hard she got amazing grades. Quinn and I always tried to tell her to stop worrying so much about her future and just live in the moment. I guess tonight she did just that.

"That was kind of crazy," Quinn chuckled. "I figured if anyone would be the party animal first it would be me."

"Hey! Why not me?" I demanded with a smiled. My finger tickled her in the side, and Quinn practically fell off the bench.

"Stop!" She screeched. Her hands cupped her sides to protect them from any furthermore tickling. "I was just thinking because of Sam, and everything," she laughed, still slightly out of breath.

I went to protest. Sam was not able to control me. Sure, she hated when I went to her parties, but she never dictated what I did. I could do whatever I pleased, and Sam couldn't do anything about that.

"Girls, please." Caleb trotted to us and handed us both our ice cream. I smiled at him, indicating a thank you. "Let's get something straight. I'm the real party animal." He plopped in between us.

"Yeah right!" I laughed and whacked him in the arm. He made face, but I just stuck out my tongue.

"All you do is play video games, Caleb," Quinn pointed out. "I was honestly surprised you even came today. Whenever we want to hangout, you just play on your computer." Quinn made her point and then stuffed her face with her vanilla ice cream.

"It's true," I said with a mouthful of chocolate chip.

"Hey, I'm here aren't I?" Caleb said and wrapped his arm around both of us as he squeezed us into the side of him for a hug.

. . .

Quinn let me stay at her house that night. The party was probably going to last all night. Sam did that a lot. She had a party and then in the morning people were still casually hanging out in my living room. Sam then would scold me from coming out of my room, while I would just ignore her and eat my cereal in the kitchen.

"Thanks again for allowing me to stay the night," I thanked Quinn as I hopped out of her car.

"Hey, no problem." Quinn smiled. "If Becca's still at your house, send her home." We laughed and I promised that I would.

Becca wasn't at my house, though. Strangely, it was just Sam and my parents.

"Mom, Dad?" I said when I walked through the door. They were both in the kitchen drinking coffee as they read the paper. "What are you guys doing here?" They were supposed to be spending the weekend on a romantic getaway, but instead they were sitting at the table in the kitchen.

"Well, Sam called us and claimed that her sister was no where to be found," Dad spoke up. His glasses fell to the tip of his nose as he looked at me.