Chapter Twenty Five: Invisible Person

I can someone else besides Gavin screaming. I think that it might be me, but I can't focus on anything else besides him. How much pain is Gavin in? And what exactly is he doing? His body is still enveloped in the light, and it keeps getting brighter and brighter.

He keeps screaming, and tears are running down my face. I stop my shouts. I want to tell him it's okay, that he'll be fine, but I can't seem to make a sound anymore. The light starts to dim and he falls to the ground I frantically check his pulse. It's not there anymore. I whimper. The only thing I can, and should do, is avenge him, make sure his death wasn't for nothing.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Liliana trying to make a quick escape, but Emilie and Brianna catch her, out of thin air. Liliana gasps, and Emilie disappears. Krissy, Alyssa, and Tyler go over to help. But I don't make a move. I just can't.

Liliana attempts to maneuver around them, but she can't see Emilie, so she finds herself pinned against the wall by an invisible person. Tyler starts to stare intently at Liliana, and Liliana screams. Loud. Tyler is trying to distract her with words, intellectually. Krissy walks in front of Liliana and says:

"Sleep." Liliana stops her screaming, and laughs, struggling to get out of Emilie's grasp. Krissy's eyes briefly shine red, and she stumbles back, losing the mental hold on Liliana.

"It won't be that easy." She smirks, and continues to flounder. I'm still looking at Gavin's dead body, mute and frozen. My friends, except for Emilie and Alyssa, who are preventing Liliana from escaping, and a missing Alicia, walk up to me and hug me.

Krissy notices a door that I didn't see. It's a reinforced door that is surrounded with padding. It's a soundproof room.

She knocks on it once, but then pulls back and rubs her knuckles, grimacing. She puts her ear to the door to see if she hears anything. I look at Liliana, but she stares at nothing and doesn't look back.

Krissy crouches in front of the door knob.

"Bobby pins, anyone?" I hand her some from my pocket. Krissy goes to work picking the lock. When it's opened, I hear Alicia let out a gasp of surprise.

"It's about freakin' time!" I hear. They walk out, but when Alicia sees Gavin, she steps back. She gasps.

"What the frickin' heck happened here? He's the one who put me in the goshdang cell!" I try to explain everything, but I keep it short. She can hear the rest later. She nods with understanding, and gives me a caring pat on the shoulder. Alicia doesn't do hugs.

"You did the best you could." Kellie says, giving me a pained smile. Brianna stoops down to Gavin's level, and puts her hand on his heart, trying to start it up again. Her hand glows faintly, and then stops. She looks at me and shakes her head. Then I hear soft cries.

Liliana wails out desperately. I could tell she liked Gavin as more than a fellow colleague.

I fall to my knees, and put my face in Gavin's chest. I mourn the loss of my love. Then I hear something in the distance.

It sounds like police sirens, but I'm not sure. Emilie gives me a questioning look. Tyler's voice reverberates in my head.

What are the police doing here?

"Gavin told me Song's Melody doesn't have police." I said. Liliana snickers, her makeup all messed up from all the crying she's done..

"It's not over yet." She tells me, looking me in the eye, "But it will be." I gasp. Liliana laughs a crazy laugh, throwing her head back and just letting it out.

"She freakin' called the police!" Alicia shouts, looking out of one of the small windows. She promptly goes over to the door and puts the bolt locks in place. Then it gets quiet, because not five seconds later, we hear someone try to bring the door down.

"It won't hold much longer!" Alyssa says. Then Gavin sits up straight, his eyes alert and awake.

"What the hell?" He asks. I squeal in joy. I wrap my arms around him and kiss him on both cheeks, his forehead, and then finally, his lips.

"We're in danger." I say, after I let go, and my friends look . I stop hugging him, but then I grab his hand and gently try to lift him up. He stumbles a little, but he leans on me for support.

"I'm sorry," He whispers, looking apologetic, and Alicia nods. Then she gives him a look. Take care of her, it says. Then he nods. He looks at Liliana with disgust and lets go of me, walking over to her to touch her forehead.

Liliana's eyes roll to the back off her head, and her mouth opens and out comes a wisp of smoke, which disappears. The smoke is red, like her jewel. Her necklace glows briefly, before it too, goes out, and shatters upon her chest, turning into a gray, colorless strand that disappears when it touches the ceiling.

Liliana's eyes go back to normal, but then she starts to vomit on the floor.

"Wha-What did you--" Liliana mumbles, still dazed.

"Only witches can activate the necklace." Gavin gives her a hard, cold look, but all she does is laugh. Then Gavin slaps her hard enough to knock her out. He takes off Alicia's necklace from Liliana's neck and gives it to her and then limps weakly to the window. He sees the police still trying to break down the door.

"Who knew the door was that strong?" He asks, trying to make a joke, but no one laughs. Then the middle of the door starts to break, the wood chipping off in chunks.

"Nobody move!" One of the police officers say. Emilie grabs everyone's hands.

"In a circle, and hold hands!" She says, and then, slowly, everyone starts to disappear one by one. Emilie first, then Alicia and Tyler, who are next to her. Then it's Kellie, Alyssa, Brianna, and Gavin. When the door breaks down, I start to disappear too, but then I start to feel nauseous.

My head spins, and suddenly I lose vision.

-----

When I wake up, I try to open my eyes, but they feel so heavy, and I can barely move. I force myself to blink, and I think I can see all eight of my friends, including Gavin, standing behind a stranger. They're all staring at me.

The sun is blinding me, so I squint my eyes to try to see through the light. I feel sand beneath my fingertips, and I suddenly feel parched.

The stranger gives me a water bottle half filled with water.

"Here, drink this." He says, and helps me sit up, like what Gavin did at Krissy's house. I gulp down the entire bottle in under 4 mouthfuls. I hadn't realized how thirsty I was, until I took the bottle from him.

Krissy smirks at me and I smirk back at her, but my other friends just look relieved.

"Hi. Delphi's your name isn't it?" He asks, once I've finished the water. His voice sounds oddly familiar, like someone I know really well. He has the same black hair as I do, and we both have brown eyes. I nod limply. I look at Gavin, and he's staring daggers at the back of new guy's head. I smile a little at him, and I think, Gavin is jealous.

"I'm Fitz." He says, but the name doesn't ring a bell, "And welcome to your new home."