Chapter Nine: Potions And Spells

It really bothered me, how I couldn't tell my friends anything. And when Alicia brought it up, I nearly screamed in frustration. I wanted to tell them, but I couldn't.

"So, what happened?" Krissy asks. I open my mouth to tell them I can't, but something punches me in the stomach and I groan, stepping back. Great. Now I can't even tell them that I can't tell them. I shake my head, desperately trying to say something, anything. But I just can't. Luckily, Alicia takes the words right out of my mouth.

"She can't. The person who possessed you," Alicia gestures towards Krissy, "also put some kind of thing on Delphi, so she won't talk."

"Well, we've gotta get rid of this thing, and quick. Before they get rid of us." Kellie says. And we don't ask who they is.

"I agree," Emilie says to us, obviously creeped out, and a little cautious.

"But I have good news," I interrupt. They all look expectantly at me, "I can tell you guys anything else." My face falls, and they all look at me in confusion.

"You guys, I think my parents are possessed." I almost cry, right then and there, but I manage to keep it in. They rub my back, telling me it will be okay, but I doubt it.

Once I've stopped almost-crying, we start talking again.

"But here's the thing," Alyssa says, "I want to know exactly what we are, and what our family, and the necklaces, have to do with it."

"You're right, we need to know." Brianna says. Emilie shifts in her seat a little, and she clears her throat, looking nervous.

"Um, actually, I think I know what we are. Maybe even a clue as to where the necklaces came from." Everyone turns to look at her, and I think, Finally, some answers.

"I was reading the diary we found in the chest, and on the first page, it says, 'I can't believe it. I wouldn't have thought that witches like us could've found the power to take over the world.'" She says, and Kellie gasps.

Then Alicia bursts out laughing. But when everyone else doesn't join in, she stops.

"Wait, you're not kidding?" She asks. She looks around. That does kind of sound crazy.

"I kind of agree with Alicia on this one," I say. I try to think harder about it, but I just can't believe it, "I mean, seriously! Witches make potions, they do spells!"

"It's a bit reasonable." Brianna says, lifting her necklace out of her shirt, and clutching it tightly, "Magic may have made our necklaces."

I turn to look at her.

"Do you think someone might want us dead, too?" I ask, changing the subject. Witches were the last thing I wanted to talk about.

"Wait, wait, wait. What do you mean?" Alyssa asks me. 

"I just, sometimes, I get this feeling that I'm being violated. It's so weird, so uncomfortable." I answer.

"I get what you mean," Krissy says, "When you called me that night, I couldn't--" Then Krissy starts to choke. I gasp and rush to her side.

"Are you okay?" I ask, then I silently curse, turning back to my other friends, "We have to stop whoever's doing this to us." Then I face Krissy again, "Do you need some water?" 

She shakes her head, and just sits still for a minute. After a while, she gets her breath back.

Then Kellie's stands up, her eyes closed, and when she whispers to us, it is in some sort of monotone.

"This is it. Alzer, prepare the girl. Her soul is the last thing we need. Liliana would forgive me." Then Kellie crumples on the floor. So many casualties in one day. Emilie grabs a hold of her arm and tries to get her to get up, but when she opens her eyes, she speaks in a hushed tone.

"Her name is Liliana Revels."

"At least we know who she is now," Alicia tells us, after Kellie has sat up, "We can get her to get this spell off of Delphi and Krissy, and get her to stop trying to kill us." Alicia says this as if it's nothing, and that she just said the most natural thing in the world. I twist the sleeve of my shirt with distress. She's trying to kill us.

"You guys." I say, looking at each of them with fear, "This is a revenge story."