Chapter Twenty Four: For Your Friends

We burst into the building, weapons out and our breathing rapid. I expected it to be filled with guns, or whatever it is prisons are supposed to filled with, but the walls and floors, and ceilings are stone, and unbreakable. Unless you had a jackhammer. 

What I didn't expect to see, was a picture of Liliana and Gavin tacked up on the wall, along with other pictures, love letters too. Jealousy fills the outer edges of my vision with red. Liliana did this on purpose. To distract me from getting Alicia back. Gavin grabs my hand and squeezes it, reminding me that they're over.

At first glance, Liliana is nowhere to be seen, and the place looks abandoned, haunted even, like all the other kids say, but I know better. Liliana's just trying to drag this out, to make us hurt.

Then, finally, Liliana comes into view, coming out from behind a wall with a smirk. Her signature red lipstick is smeared across her lips, and her face is full on transformed. It's not natural anymore. But I can see why she does this. There are bags under her eyes, and wrinkles across her face. She looks tired. And she also looks about forty. The makeup almost makes her seem like the Liliana I saw before. She laughs evilly.

"So you've figured it out?" She says, the coldness in her voice evident. I shiver at the hate she pierces through our brain. Then she looks at our various weapons, and I see the envy, and the anger, flash in her eyes.

"You have the Weapons of Light?" She smirks, pretending not to be jealous, "Interesting. But it is no matter. I have something that rivals even the greatest of weapons. I seethe in rage. What a liar!

I check to make sure everyone has their necklaces on, and they do. And then I notice that Liliana has two chains around her neck, leading to the jewels. One is clear, like a diamond and the other looks like a red ruby. They're both shaped as a teardrop. Like the rest of ours. Like Alicia's. She has Alicia's necklace. She follows my gaze, to where her necklace, and someone else's, is. She holds it up, for everyone else to see.

"Oh? Do you like it? I found it. On the ground." She says. Alyssa seethes next to me. Emilie clenches her fists, and everyone is angry. I wonder if Alicia's okay, and if Liliana hurt her, besides a regretful Gavin.

"I'm sure you're confused. Why, oh, why, do I want your necklaces?" None of us say anything and she explains, as if we asked.

"You know, I had the Understanding in me, before." She says, and I almost ask her what the Understanding was, but I have too much pride, "But when they killed me, it got lost, and probably transferred to someone else." We are still silent, and she smirks.

"Do you know about your ancestors, Kellie, dear Krissy, Delphi?" She asks, and then she starts to scream out her words, "No one's told you anything because they were monsters! They killed me to get those necklaces!" I see Tyler flinch.

"You're not dead, Liliana." Brianna says, holding a dagger in her hand, no fear in her face. Liliana cackles loudly, and I tense.

"That's right. I'm not dead, yet. I had to possess this body to get the power that I deserved, and of course, for my revenge." So I was right, it was about revenge.

"But this body is getting weaker. I have to, no, I need to, get another. And you," She says, pointing towards me, "Will suffice." My friends and Gavin all step in front of me. She laughs at the response.

"But unfortunately, you seem to keep slipping from my grasp. What's the secret? Huh? How do you escape the possession? No one's done it before!" I stumble in my words.

"Wha-I-I don't know what--"

"Never mind. She," She emphasizes on she, "is strong enough." A slight tremor goes through me, when I realize she's talking about Alicia.