Chapter Twenty Two: Regrets

Gavin Fieldshire's P.O.V.

I exit Delphi's front door, just as I hear Delphi say:

"I'll get Alicia!" Of course she would. Even after just knowing her for a couple of days, I knew she would do anything for the people she cared about.

Then I thought about what I said. I start to wonder, why did I say that? They don't mean anything to me, was not true. Delphi's friends have grown on me, ever since Delphi introduced me to them. They were what I wished my old friends were. 

At my old school, when my father was still with me, my friends were mean, they liked to make fun of others, and never cared at all what I thought. It was a bit like Liliana's hatred, deep and unwavering. But I had my revenge. Let's just say, three of them landed in the hospital, and another had an extremely bloody nose.

I growl, and kicked up some more dust.

I hated Liliana and her power to possess people. Maybe if Liliana hadn't possessed me, Delphi and I would still be talking!

I sigh, knowing that I was never going to be any of the people she loved. I keep on walking, going past my car. But I didn't care. I just wanted to be far away, far away from Delphi, the girl I couldn't like. Whenever I thought of her, I had so many things I wanted to say. I had so many regrets.

I was stupid to like Liliana. She kept me blind on hate, the hate that I thought I had, but was actually just hers. She ruined my chance to find true love. 

Sometimes I wonder, did she hypnotize me to like her?

Maybe she did like me, but I knew now that I didn't like her back. I liked Delphi. When we started to talk at Pete's Diner, I was reluctant to let her in. But she was something else. She kept hitting me with questions, and so, eventually, I started to answer. 

Cars drove by, but I barely noticed them. I only thought about Delphi.

I liked her laugh. I liked her eyes. And I especially liked her protectiveness. She was the soft curve to my edginess. I could imagine her here, next to me, holding my hand.

Her hands were delicate, so I felt like my own hands would damage hers. Particularly when she grabbed my arm to pull me towards the woods.

I should have told her everything. Right when I became aware of my feelings. But I was a coward, a stupid scaredy-cat. I didn't want to ruin whatever it was I had with Del.

But that was over. I had nothing with Delphi. Nothing.

I continue walking, and I see something about ten feet in front of me. I rub my eyes in disbelief. She followed me back!

"Delphi, I'm so sorry, please forgive me!" I rush to her. And I step right through her. She disappears, a mirage in my delusional, lovesick mind. She was never here.

"Mental hospital's that way, crazy!" Some teen girl shouts out of an open window, the car driving past slowly, a beer can in hand and a sneer on her face. I ignore her and keep on walking. My mind is already playing tricks on me.

As I keep on walking, I find a nice spot to rest on, a smooth rock with trees that would give me shade. I noticed that after spending time with Delphi, I realized what love was. I pitied myself, for not seeing it sooner.

I sat down on the stone. Then I put my elbows on my knees, my face in my hands, and start to tear up, but I hold it in. I will not cry, I tell myself.

Years ago, when I got bullied, I promised myself that I would never cry. Ever. Period. And I've always kept that promise.

So I've stopped crying, and I've been strong. Nothing has been able to go through my defenses. Except for Delphi.

God, I'm such a wuss.

Once I think that, I stop. I realize that I've been slowly breaking down my walls, for Delphi. I've risked it all for her, and somehow, I don't think it's worth it anymore.

Then her face flashes in my eyes, and I think of her, of how she made me feel. She made me fall for her, but will I survive it? Will love kill me first before I can feel it?

I stand up and fist my hands. I know what I'm going to do. I start to walk back towards my car, avoiding Delphi's house completely, and I slowly break down the wall I have until there's nothing left.

Thank you, Delphi, for changing me.

A tear slips out of my eyes, and I wipe it away. But these are tears of joy.

-----

A/N:

So sad... He's so broken, but remember, be strong, and stand with no fear. That's what this chapter is about.

So please vote, comment, and add this book to your library! I really appreciate the amount of views I have on it! Tell your friends about this dramatic adventure! Thx!

-a crying Starla Sunshine

P.S. Sorry for all the sappy-ness....