Chapter Seven: During The Dark

When I get to the location Krissy texts me, I sneak through. It's a park and during the day, it doesn't get many visitors, so no one will come here during the dark.

I clutch the bread knife in my hand, hoping I won't have to use it. I crouch behind a bench and look at my surroundings. I see Krissy standing next to the fountain that doesn't work. I hide the knife behind me and casually walk over like nothing is wrong. When, in fact, everything is. She has her back turned and when I approach her, she doesn't turn around.

"Krissy?" I ask. She faces me, her eyes glowing red. I gasp and stumble back, accidentally dropping the knife.

"You have something of mine." Krissy-Not-Krissy says. Her voice is deeper than Krissy's and is slightly coarse, as if she needed water very badly. She comes closer to me, but I say nothing. And I know that I can't stall my way out of this.

"If you don't give it to me, well, I don't think your parents would want to see your corpse in a box? Do you?" She asks. I try my best to fight my tears. This cannot be happening!

I see that she doesn't have her necklace on and I feel a feeling so strong, it's foreign. And that's when I realize it. I'm scared.

"Never." I manage to say, even if it shaky. She cackles and I slowly crawl back.

"You think that's a choice?" She barks out. "Give it to me, or it's all over." She starts to walk closer to me, and I try to run away, run back home, but then I feel a pull, at the inside of my chest. I stagger to the ground and suddenly, I can't breathe.

I hear another evil laugh, and my vision blurs. I try to take in some air, but I can't. It's like my lungs have forgotten how to work.

 I'm going to die, I think, by suffocation. But then I remember.

The necklace.

I close my eyes and hold my hand up. I hear Krissy-Not-Krissy, gasp, like she has just now realized I was wearing the necklace. I twist my wrist, but then she stops and then falls to the ground, like I've already hurt her with the power of the necklace. And then everything goes slow, and it feels like I can't do anything to make it go faster.

"No, stop it!" Real-Krissy says, in her own voice. It's like she's talking to whoever is controlling her body. Her eyes are unfocused, but they don't look at me. She convulses and then she shouts out in pain, as something tries to get back in control, to move out of the way. But it's too late. I have already unleashed the power.

Things go back to regular speed, but I hear a crack and then a scream. Then I hear the thump of a body as it hits the floor. Then there is no sound, everything is dead quiet. The choke hold releases and I can finally stand and I crack open I look towards Krissy and I can see that she has passed out.

I sway on my feet, trying to get over to her and when I finally do, I open one of her eyelids. Her pupils have turned back to their regular color, and I sigh, relieved.

I crouch down and nudge her arm, and thankfully, she groans.

"Krissy?" I ask her, "Krissy? Hey, wake up!" Then that's when I start to cry, I've been keeping in my tears, ever since the fake Krissy fought me, but I couldn't stop the river of sadness that flowed out from the depths of my soul.

And then, all of a sudden, I feel an instantaneous gust of wind, and I look up to see the face of Alicia.

"Wha-wha-how?" I stumble in my words, trying to get something intelligent out. She just sighs at me, but when she looks at Krissy, she gives a full out gasp.

"What they heck happened here?" She asks, looking quite alarmed. She squats down next to me to check Krissy's pulse.

"She's alive, don't worry." I tell her, and she faces me.

"But you didn't answer my question. What happened here?" I open my mouth to say something, but for some reason, I can't get the words out. When I try to tell her, I immediately feel the touch of squeezing hands, trying to choke me, at my throat. I then realize, I can't tell her, or I could die. Alicia looks at me, confused, but when I point to my mouth, repeatedly, and with a scared look on my face, she understands.

She stands up and says, "You can't talk about it. Someone did this to you." I smile at her, glad she knows. Then I take this time to ask her a question of my own.

"And how did you get here, by the way?" I say, standing up, and without comprehending it, I lift Krissy's body up with my mind. Alicia's eyes widen, but she doesn't say a word. We start to walk towards my house, toward the cellar that started all of this. And after a while she answers.

"We're like superheroes, Delphi. Freakin' superheroes," She rubs her forehead, currently overwhelmed by the possibility of us being like "freakin' superheroes." I nod sympathetically. I know how she feels, what if people expected us to save the world. I would've broke under the pressure. 

As we get closer and closer to my house, I sneak into my house, my footsteps, along with Alicia's, dead silent. Once we get to the stairway that leads down to the door of the cellar, Krissy starts to stir.

"Hurry!" Alicia says, looking a bit scared that Krissy might wake up my parents. We rush down the stairs and quietly ease open the door, and then we shut it. And lock it.

"We need a doctor." I tell Alicia, freaking out.

I set Krissy down gently on the floor, next to the beanbags. I bite the inside of my lip nervously, tasting the metallic tang of blood. 

Her necklace starts to pulse on her neck, following the beat of her heart. Bum-bum...bum-bum...bum...bum. Then it stops.