4

Dedicated to Shruthii

NATASHA

"Rohan, I win!" I said as Vihaan reached his century.

"I don't agree. I said he would get OUT too, so the bet still holds."

"Come on, Ro, the bets are both different.  I won the second on him scoring century, and I'm going to win on the one of him not getting out too"

Finally, he gave in and gave me the money.

All I did was to get up and dance, but I never knew this was being televised. The next thing I knew the commentator was saying that, of the huge number of Vihaan's fans, most of them were of the opposite gender.

I started thinking, dreaming of a perfect future with him. Completely lost, I sat there just watching him, not paying any attention to what was going on in the field. Finally it was Rohan who nudged me to bring me back from my trance.

"Kya hua, what happened?" I asked him.

"Hey, gal where were you lost? See your VK coming this way?"

"What? How come ? He got out?"

"OUT? Are you serious, Nats. The innings has finished, and he was unbeaten at 183, I lost the bet again."

 "I know, just give me the money."

We had a short lunch, and I was eagerly waiting for the second innings to begin.

After a while, the guys came out. But I was disappointed when I didn't see my Vihaan in the group. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.  I was totally devastated. I knew he needed some rest after being out there for such a long time.

For a few moments I lost interested in the match until VK came out. With opponents were hitting hard, there was a lot to chase.  Balls were going high, landing in no-man's land. Had my VK been there, he would have caught them.

As if my prayers were answered, VK came out again, sending the substitute back to the Indian bench.

Now that he was back in the match, I concentrated on him, my eyes constantly chasing him around the field.

He would field the ball as it made its way to the boundary. When he threw it to the non-strikers end,  I knew this was going to be a direct hit.  The umpire's finger went up. With the batsman out, the Indian team charged towards VK, engulfing him in a group hug. I was so excited.

Three more wickets fell, and then the ball went up again, I saw my VK running hard to reach the ball. And finally he caught it! Again a wicket fell. I was more than happy.

The match ended soon, and INDIA won!

The team was heading for the dressing room

"Come with me." I heard Karan say.

"Where?"

"To meet VK"

I looked at Ria, and she just smiled. Rohan was looking irritated, but I just ignored him.

"What? I can meet him? "

"Yeah, I know, Rishabh, and if you want you can even get an autograph from VK."

"Really? Lets go."

We rushed through the crowds so that I didn't miss him. I would be heart broken if I lost this chance.

Then I saw him now! With the crowd cheering, all I could hear was VIHAAN!  VIHAAN ! VIHAAN!
A few meters away, I gathered all my strength and shouted.

VK!

To my horror he stopped and turned around. My god, he was coming toward me!  I was frozen on the spot. I couldn't move.

"Big fan?" he asked.

Of all people, he actually spoke to me. ME!  Somebody, please hold me, I thought. I was going to faint!

I opened my mouth, but nothing would come out. I tried again but in vain.

“I can see, you need not say it yourself."

I just smiled at that.

"I guess you can do with an autograph?"

He took the book I had in my hands and wrote something.

Happy to have the support of lovely ladies like you. Keep on praying for me.

He winked. Winked at me? He winked at Me!

I needed water. I cant explain how excited I was. Then he turned around and started walking back. I don't know how, but I again got the courage to scream VK yet again.

"You again? So you found your voice? What can I do for you?"

" Actually, I want a photo... with you. Please?"

"Sure, join me," he said.

I handed my phone to Rohan so that he could take the photo on it. I was now standing beside the love of my life.

"Can I hug you?" I asked again. I didn't know where that came from. My hands covered my mouth in shock!

What shocked me more was his response. He tilted his head and smirked at me.

"Sure!"

No sooner than he said that, I hugged him. I never wanted to let him go! After what felt like a lifetime, we separated.

As he walked away smiling, I stood there like an idiot.