Chapter 12

Chris' POV

I haven't heard from Lizzy since this morning. I knew I shouldn't have reacted that way, but I just couldn't help it. I hate when she keeps stuff like this from me. I mean I know I'm just her older brother, but I'm still her legal guardian ever since mom and dad decided to travel the world. I look at the clock to see that it's almost midnight. I decide to call Jackson and talk this out with him. I tried to talk to Tanner about it, but he respects Lizzy too much to talk about this without her here.

Jackson doesn't pick up, so I call him again. He picks up on the fourth ring.

"Hey man, I've got a lot on my mind and can't sleep. You up for a bro's night?"

"Uhm, I-I can't tonight, sorry man." Did he just stutter? And why is he whispering?

"Come on Jackson, I really need –"

(In the background) "Who are you talking to?"

"No one, it's okay, just go back to sleep."

"Dude, who are you with?"

"A friend. Look Chris I gotta go, but I'll call you tomorrow." He hung up before I could respond.

Good to know where I stand with him. Wait. That almost sounded like Lizzy. I haven't seen either of them today, but she hates Jackson so why would she be with him? It can't be her.

I shake my head to clear my thoughts. There is no way Lizzy would hang out with Jackson, let alone sleep with him. Right?

Elizabeth's POV

I wake up because I can't move. I start to panic then I realize that it's another person holding me down. The panic returns when I see that it's Jackson. Our legs are tangled, his head is on my chest, and one arm is wrapped around my waste. The sweatshirt I'm wearing has ridden up so his arm is lying directly on my skin. I bite back a scream. Holy crap what happened last night. If I move, it'll wake him and I'm not that mean. Instead, I lay there and began to recall what happened yesterday.

I told Chris what the doctor said and he freaked out, so I ran. As I was leaving the house Jackson was coming in and I dragged him with me. We went out to Lake Peachy and I jumped off the cliff. Jackson got mad and I kissed him so he would – WAIT. I sit up quickly, forgetting that Jackson was laying on me. My abrupt movement shoved him to the other side of the bed where he jumped up in surprise.

"What the --?" He looked around the room half asleep trying to figure out what had just happened.

I just realized that we're in his room. What did I get myself into?

Without looking at him, I simply asked, "What happened and why am I here?"

"Well you were extremely upset yesterday and after soaking your clothes I brought you back here cause I didn't think you'd want to go home and we ended up falling asleep."

I cocked my head to the side and looked at him. He didn't mention me kissing him so maybe I just imagined it. He slowly got back into bed and laid down next to me on his stomach. We stayed like that for who knows how long and just watched each other.

Jackson broke the stare first. He reached up and cupped my face with one hand. Then he slowly moved his hand to my shoulder and pushed me down until I was laying down next to him. Moving to cup my face again, he leaned in. I know he's about to kiss me and I should probably stop this and leave, but for some reason I didn't. At first it was a soft, light kiss, as if he was asking permission. When I didn't pull away, he kissed me again. It was slow and sweet and wonderful. We were interrupted by a ringing. I don't know if it was my phone or his, but neither one of us moved. We laid there just staring into each other's eyes. The phone stopped ringing, only to start again. This time I got up to see if it was my phone. Turns out it is my phone, and it's Chris who's calling me. I debate if I should answer it or not.