Chapter Nine

Elizabeth's POV

My blood sugar was back to normal, but neither one of us moved. It's like we were afraid to break the silence. After sitting there for what felt like an eternity, Chris and Jackson walked in. We both quickly got up off the floor just as they walked into the kitchen.

Chris raised his eyebrow at us, "Hey Tanner, watcha doing here?"

"Liz went low and called me needing help."

"I called you?" I don't remember calling him. I thought I called Chris.

"Yeah.."

"Oh, I was trying to call Chris. I guess that explains why you showed up and Chris didn't bust down the door in a panic."

There was an awkward silence as everyone just stared at each other.

"Okay well I'm going to order pizza for dinner." Chris said.

Tanner's POV

Dinner was beyond awkward. Jackson kept glaring at me while Chris was lost in his own thoughts. Liz had decided to go back up to her room to eat. I still can't believe that Jackson was best friends with Liz's brother. I'm Jackson's new neighbor and I'm so glad my mom made me go next door and introduce myself. As horribly embarrassing it is to be 17 years old and introducing yourself to your new neighbor, I felt like a 5 year old, it managed to put Liz back in my life. Thankfully I had driven myself to Chris' house. I couldn't take the awkwardness any longer, so I decided to leave.

"I have some homework to do, so I'll see you guys later." I said while standing up. "Thanks for dinner Chris."

"No problem man, it's good to have a new face around here. Come by anytime."

Once I got home, I tried my hardest to concentrate on my homework, but that wasn't happening. I couldn't stop thinking about Liz. Something bad happened at her appointment last week and I had to figure out what it was. As creepy and obsessive as that sounds, I know what she's going through. Being diabetic is complete hell and listening to people who don't have it talk to you like they know what it's like is horrible. Like Liz, I was diagnosed at a very, very, young age. Everyone's battle is different -

My thoughts were interrupted by a knock on my door. "Who is it?"

"It's me."

"Come on in." I look up from my desk and see Jackson leaning against my doorframe.

"You need to stay away from her."

I looked at him with a confused expression. "What?"

"You need to stay away from Lizzy."

"And why would I do that?"

"Look, I don't know who you think you are. You've only been here a few weeks and getting on me or Chris' bad side will not help you make friends. Lizzy's special, she's not like normal girls, okay. I don't know what makes you think that you can just strut into town and get all cozy with her, but you need to stop."

"You like her." I deadpanned. I've picked up on his constant teasing, the way he looks at her, and the way his eyes brighten when she comes in the room. Wow, I sound like a girl.

"That's not the fact. The fact is, that you need to stay away from her." He stated before turning and leaving.

------