Chapter 5

Confrontations

My blood is on fire, boiling beneath my skin as I watch Jacob kiss Kate, who's giggling and laughing like a thirteen year old schoolgirl.

I look over at Bella, trying to ignore the wave of anger that's crashing over me, the unreasonable desire to murder the man in front of me slowly egging me on.

But Bella kept my feet rooted where they were.

Her eyes were misty, her lower lip stuck out in a slight pout, trembling as she tried to control her tears. Her cheeks were devoid of all color, for the first time since I met her, and her breathing was quick and shallow.

I have to get her out of here.

"Bella?" I murmur, my voice surprisingly calm.

She turns to meet my gaze, her big brown eyes looking dead, flat, emotionless. She sucks in a breath, her eyes coming back to life slightly, as she sticks her chin out, holding her head up high, though her shoulders are slumped, and her lower lip was still trembling.

"Can we go?" She whispers hoarsely. "Please?"

"Of course," I say, taking her arm. "Let's--"

"Bella!" Someone shouts, and both Bella and I turn to see none other than Jacob Black walking over, Kate riding on his shoulders, her cheeks flushed and a smile on her face, matching Jacob's.

I wanted to wipe his smile off his face with my fist.

"What do we do?" Bella hisses.

"We can act like we didn't hear them and walk away..." I suggest as Kate waves her arms in our direction, still grinning from ear to ear.

Completely oblivious to the fact that Bella was slowly but surely losing her cool.

"Too late," Bella mumbles as Jacob and Kate stop a few feet away from the raised railing, what Bella and I are leaning against.

"Hey, Bella Ballerina!" Kate giggles.

"Katiebug," Bella smiles, I can tell it's fake, but Bella is an award winning actress, and both Kate and Jacob fall for it. "How are things?"

I wrap my arm securely around Bella's waist, more fearful that I would lunge forward and do something I'm liable to regret rather than she.

The movement doesn't slip past Jacob, though, and he raises an eyebrow but doesn't say anything.

That's right, I tell myself smugly. You lost your chance!

"Oh, things are perfect. Jake and I couldn't be happier," Kate gushes, staring down at Jacob with goo-goo eyes. "Right Jakey?"

"Of course, Katie." Jacob says, watching Bella speculatively. She doesn't move an inch, just gives the both of them a tight lipped smile.

"That's great," She tells them, doing a very good job of disguising the pain in her voice. "I'm happy for you two."

Kate grins and continues babbling about some nonsense that Bella seems to be listening too, but my attention is on Jacob.

When Bella wished them happiness, I saw something in his dark eyes change.

He seemed to be upset that she said that. What, was he hoping she'd reach over and snap Kate's neck with a flick of her wrist so he'd have Bella again?

Yeah, right. If he thought that, he probably never knew Bella at all. Though I had no doubt at all whether she was capable of doing so.

Kate is still talking when she waves her hands dramatically, and something reflects off her finger and shines straight in my eyes.