When I reached the bottom of the stairs I could hear my mom talking on the phone to somebody in a hushed voice. When I came around the corner she looked at me and said “Ok Jen I’ll have to call you later bye” and then hung up the phone.

“Who was that?” I asked as I walked over to the counter and grabbed a mug out of the cupboard above it.

“Oh just Jen from work” Mom said as she wiped the counter top down with a cloth.

Mom worked as a nurse at a medical centre in town. Her friend Jen was a doctor there. Jen was a bit of a gossip and she called to talk to mom all the time. Jen calling was believable but I knew mom was up to something else. I could tell by the way she was avoiding eye contact with me.

“You sure it wasn’t a guy? Mom I don’t mind if you want to start dating, I want you to be happy. I can’t believe you haven’t been with anyone since my father.” I poured hot water into my mug and stirred in some drinking chocolate and milk. After a few seconds of silence I looked up to see my mom standing with her back towards me. I shouldn’t have said that. She always got a little upset when I bought up my father. It was even worse when I bought up her lack of relationships after my father. I placed my hot mug on a coaster and walked closer to her. I put my hand on her shoulder and turned her to face me. Her eyes were slowly filling up with water and her lips were shaking a little bit. I pulled her into a hug and rubbed her back with my hands.

My mom was about the same height as me. She had wavy jet black hair and a slim figure.  I figured I must look like my dad. I didn’t look anything like my mom. She had a long and narrow face and golden brown eyes that were big and round. She had thin lips and a perfect Colgate smile. She had high cheekbones and abnormally large ears that she always hid with her hair. My mom was turning forty one in a few months but she didn’t look a day over twenty five. A few of Brian’s idiot Friends thought she was my sister and asked me for her number. When I told them she was my mother they couldn’t believe it. Brian’s best friend George still asks me for her number every time I see him.

My mom started to pull out of the hug. She grabbed my hand and squeezed it in hers before walking away.

 “It wasn’t a guy” She said as she made her way up the stairs. I heard her door close and the soft click of her lock sliding into place. Fuck Dylan! Why’d you have to open your big fat mouth I thought to myself. It was obvious what I said had really upset her. My mom never locked her door. I smacked myself on the forehead, knowing that she was probably up there crying herself to sleep.

I turned off the kitchen lights and checked all the windows and doors before making my way upstairs and into my room.  It was almost just past nine and all though I usually didn’t go to sleep until after ten, I was feeling really tired. I climbed into bed and pulled the covers up past my shoulders. I lifted the bottom of my bedding up and tucked it under my feet then wriggled around to find a comfy position.

I grabbed my phone from my bed side table. It had been sitting there since I got home and I hadn’t checked it since we left the mall. I had 2 text messages from Ally; she just wanted to know if I was ok. I quickly typed a reply telling her I was fine and that I would see her at school tomorrow. When I was finished sending the text I went into my phone book and looked for Brian’s number. I pressed the option button in the top right corner of my keypad and scrolled down the pop-up menu. I ran my finger along the okay button for a few seconds before finally pushing it down. I giggled when a window came up saying “You have chosen to delete Brian from your contact list. To continue please press okay”. I quickly pressed the okay button again and put my phone down next to me on the bed.  I couldn’t help the smile that spread across my face. It was something so small but it made me feel proud of myself. I felt like it was the first step to forgetting about Brian and getting on with my life.

I checked the time on my phone, it was ten pm. I turned over on my side and closed my eyes.

I was running through the house searching for my mom, I couldn’t find her anywhere. It was snowing outside and I needed her help to put chains on my tyres so I could drive to school. I searched everywhere for her, but she was nowhere to be found. I opened up her bedroom door and stormed inside but halted when I realised I was no longer in my house. I was in the bathroom from the mall looking at a girl holding Ally up against the wall the way Caitlin had held me. I became overwhelmed with rage. I took a step forward and grabbed the girl’s shoulders and ripped her away from my friend. I threw her across the bathroom and she hit the opposite wall. My body started to vibrate and I could feel my bones breaking inside of me. It was painful but I was too angry to take any notice of it. I moved forward, stalking the girl who was getting up off the floor. Her hair was black and long and it covered her face. As she stood she brushed her hair backwards and looked me in the eyes. It was my mom.

My body relaxed and I walked towards her to see if she was hurt when she let out a low warning growl. I stepped back and narrowed my eyes at her feeling confused.  We circled around each other for a few minutes. Mom was snapping her teeth at me and snarling. I looked over to see if Ally was ok, she was knocked out in the corner on the ground. I panicked when I noticed blood dripping from her sides, soaking through her white shirt.

Suddenly I was been hurled across the bathroom. Rage climbed back up through my body and took over me completely. I looked down at my arms and watched as dark reddish brown hair started growing out of my skin. I lifted my hands to my face and felt hair growing there as well. My bones were cracking again and it was pure agony. I tried to scream but there was no sound, only the cracking of my bones.

All of a sudden the pain stopped. I looked down to find that my hands had turned into paws and there was a long snout connected to my face. I was completely covered in rusty coloured fur. I looked up to see a black wolf coming towards me at a slow steady pace. “Hey Dyls” a voice came into my head. I looked around wondering where it was coming from. “You can hear me in your head, it’s called a mind link” the voice spoke again. I recognized the voice as my mom’s. I thought to myself How is my mom talking to me inside my head?  As if in reply my mom’s soft musical laugh entered my head. “I’m sorry I kept this from you all this time my darling. I was trying to protect you but I was wrong” my mom said

I sprang up and out of my bed and looked around. I was in my room. I looked down at my hands and they were normal. I looked around my room, nothing had changed. I touched my face. Everything was as it should be. It was only a nightmare I told myself. I climbed back into bed and went back to sleep. I still had a few hours before I had to get up for school.

Hey everybody! first of all thank you for reading my book and thank you to those of you who vote. It really means a lot to me. This chapter wasn't overly exciting but I felt it was necessary.  There is some good stuff coming up soon so please bear with me. Cheers