During the drive to the courthouse I was practicing my speech.

Usual I don't get nervous over a case. Even when I go up against a old timer. It just Fern already beat me in two cases. I don't want this to be the third case I lose from him.

I parked my car in the parking lot and practically ran in the courthouse since I was a minute late.

"A minute late." Fern said looking at his watch.

I rolled my eyes. "I guess you're keeping track on me since you can't keep up with your wife. By the way how's Lisa?"

"Still PMSing."

"Wow."

He opened the door for me. "Break a leg." He whispered.

"Suck a dick." I whispered back.

I heard him laugh as I walked to my desk where my client is. I put my purse on the table and took out the stack of files.

"All rise." The officer said.

Everyone stood up and waited for the judge  to seat us.

"This is case number 8C401, in the matter of John Brown. State of Washington. The attorneys can make their speech and bring witnesses up to the stand. Mr. Fern is first to make his speech."

I turn to see Fern stand up and fix his one thousand dollar suit. He walked to the jury with confidence.

Made me sick.

"Ladies and gentlemen. My client, Ms. Richard is a widow of the victim Donald Richard. The two has been married for thirty years. The couple was on their  thirtieth anniversary the day before John Brown murdered Donald Richard."

I gripped my pencil I was holding. I looked over to my client as his leg bounce up and down. I leaned over. "Don't get nervous." I whispered

He took a deep breath. "I just don't want to go to jail. My family is here. I don't want to disappoint them."

I looked back to see his mother, little brother and sister.

"Ms. Hunter." The judge called.

I turn around. "I'm sorry." I stood up and straighten my pencil skirt. I walked to the jury.

"Thank you for coming ladies and gentlemen." I cleared my throat. "I know what you all our thinking. A eighteen year old African American boy killed a sixty year old Caucasian man. It's a very common case of you ask me."
I took a quick glance at my client and back at the jury. "But Mr. Brown is not guilty." I heard Ms. Richard whimper. "The night of the murder my client was at home with his family. Traditional gathering of Sunday dinner."

I walk around. "Mr. Brown is a straight A student, good kid, had a full ride scholarship to Harvard. Why would someone like Mr. Brown; a kid that grew up in a rough neighborhood, raise by a single mother and juggled a job ever since he was eleven to help his family ruin a full ride scholarship to the top five school in America by murdering a sixty year old man that hated black people."

The crowd grasp.

"I don't think Mr. Brown would waste his time nor future on a person like that." I added.