The Beginning

The Four Kingdoms rose up from the ruins of a former country. This country had been rich in wealth and resources, and had fallen due to unforeseen circumstance.

The Four Kingdoms were one kingdom at first, but became divided.

In the north, they wanted power. The previous nation had unbelievable power, with an enormous military and a history of wins.

In the middle, they believed money was the answer. The former nation had money to spare, but didn't always spend it wisely.

The south believed that faith and luck would fare them well. The last country had unbelievable luck when it came to battles and situation. That was, until the end of course.

In the west, they believed that, cheesily, love was the answer. They thought that the last country had done everything wrong, and there was no way to do what they did and survive. Loving allies and treating everyone with kindness would let their country rise up.

So the kingdom split.

Spades in the north, Diamonds in the middle, Clubs in the south, and Hearts in the west, naming the Kingdoms after an old pastime of the people.

The Four Kingdoms lived in peace, but as time went on, they began to live in fear.

Because the Jokers were not happy with how the Kingdoms were being ruled.

Little was known about the Jokers, but it was known that they worked together in a pack, learning and trying to bring down the Kingdoms.

As the pack was mostly made up of criminals, pariahs, and the children of said people, they sought revenge. 

Revenge was often taken in the form of murder.