Chapter 5: The club

Shakil's POV

- How you gon' be texting in church, Shakil!

Momma hasn't fully recovered yet but she still manages to scream at me. It's like her part time job, she cannot miss a day. I admit, I was wrong for doing so but I was just tryna get the last bits of information for this party. I promised my homie that I was gonna show up. Even if we're Sunday, the day of God.

- I'm sorry, ma. It just happened once, though.

- Don't say sorry to me. Say sorry, apologize to Jesus, to God and seek for Their forgiveness.

- I shall do.

- Mmmh... damn right you are.

We pull up at out driveway, turn off the engine and just stay there. Momma and I did not move, not even flinch. I will never know why I actually stayed there with her instead of going inside, going on with my day and trying to figure out an escape plan. Plus, there is this awkward silence that is just unbearable to me. I gotta speak before we both die in here.

- So uh when is auntie-

- They ain't coming today. They claim that they have other plans with the family but aren't we apart of the family too? I don't want to see them either.

This is probably the first Sunday, in all Sundays, since I was a baby boy, that the fam decided not to show up. Strange but whatever. Don't really care, to be honest. I just gotta figure out how Imma gonna sneak out of my house when the street lights come on. 

- But we still gon' do like every other Sunday. Them not showing up is not gonna stop me from making my special macaroni pie, my mashed potatoes, my collard greens, my fried chicken. They ain't gon' stop me.

She unlocks the door, comes out and slams it. I slowly come out of the car. I can tell she pissed the fuck off 'bout my aunts, uncles and cousins not showing up. Imma 'bout to hear a non stop rant, just watch and see.

As the day goes by, I still haven't figured out my escape plan. Momma been cooking a hole lotta food even if it's only going to be her eating at the kitchen table. I ain't gon' be here. Even my outfit is ready, I jus' don't know how I'm gonna get the fuck out! Actually, I do know, it's just my momma I'm afraid of. 

- Now if they come back next Sunday, I ain't opening up the door! I guess I'm gonna have to make some plans too! Can you imagine how much nonsense they be saying sometimes? Can you imagine, Shakil?

I ain't even paying attention. I know exactly what I'm gonna do now.

- Oh, they gon' regret not coming today! I think that I made the best macaroni pie in all Sundays. I also decided to grill my chicken, today. Shakil, come and taste some. 

I cannot eat right now, I gotta go. It's seven o'clock in the evening. Normally, the street lights come on around that time. 

- I can't momma, Imma lil' tired. Imma just go and lay down a bit and seek God for some forgiveness. 

- Amen to that! That's my boy, my Shakil! Okay, honey, supper will be ready in thirty minutes.

I got thirty minutes to get the hell outta here! As soon as she turns around, I run straight to my room. I change my current clothes and put on some real good gear. I put on my brand new Nike Air 1 Force's, brush my little Afro, brush my teeth, put a couple of grillz in 'em, spray some column and then I just look at myself in the mirror and admire myself. If I don't get laid tonight, there's a serious problem with them hoes 'cause I look freaking good! I put all the money I stole from my mother's purse in my pocket, take her car keys, jump out of my window and voilà! I'm out this bitch!

Man, I can't wait to get my own car. I won't have to ask for permission although I stole her car without asking her to hit the club. It's not really a club, actually. It's just one of my homie's house that we 'bout to turn into a club. His parents are on vacation and shit so why the fuck not? I pull up at his place 'n the music already blasting louder than ever. The music so loud that the roof gon' fuck around and just crash on all of them. I can tell I'm gon' have a blast.

- Aye, Shakil, so you really did come through!

- Yea, man I 'specially came here for the fine ass bitches.

- Thas' right, thas' right, I see what you be doing. We got pre rolled blunts. Ya want one?

I was about to accept until this mental flashback of the old mexican guy telling me that weed wasn't good and that it'll fuck up my brain even more than it already is came to me. 

- Nah, fam, I'm good.

- Aight, later on then.

- Yea, I guess.

I don't know why I am thinking 'bout this mexican right now. It ain't the time for this shit, I got to turn up. Not be stuck in my feelings.

- Yo, Shakil, we got some Hennessy. You want some?

Another mental flashback. That's it, I need to break free from my thoughts. I need to get high, get drunk, not think about that old fucker and my momma probably freaking out. I need the Hennessy. I grabbed the bottle from his hands and just drank it like if it was water. Aw, fuck yeah! When alcohol hits, it hits hard. My homie just looked at me, amazed. The party has officially started. The DJ played all the hottest tracks, I've danced with more bitches that I could possibly remember, I've drank so much that I don't recall the action of walking anymore, smoked so much that I'm higher than high but I still didn't get laid. Not even once. Ah well, maybe next time. I'm so drunk and out of my mind but I still can't get this motherfucker to leave my thoughts. Everyone was gifted with intelligence. Use it. Nigga, why you telling me this shit? That's what I should have told him.

I know I've been here for a while because the street lights came off. It must be early in the morning. All I gotta do is wait on the sun to come up. I better come out of here before sunrise. Before my momma find out. Fuck that, she already knows. Before I come out, I drink two big bottles of water to balance my pH and to sober up a little bit in case the police decides to pull me over. Even if I'm pretty sure they aren't alert at this time, I still gotta be careful. I'm Black. Thank God I didn't lose her keys. I turn on the engine and manage to drive my way back home.

Home. The place where I will feel like hell for the next two weeks... Man, I'm fucked.