Thorin couldn't help himself; his attention was drawn to the large scar across her eye. He still wondered how she got it.

"Maybe it's not me who you should distrust. I never abandoned anyone, while everyone turned his back on me."

After these words she walked away, leaving Thorin alone with his confusing thoughts. Why had she opened up to him? Had he misjudged her all this time? Had he been led by the judgement of others? And what had Elladan done? Or rather; what had he not done?

ELLADAN

. . .

Scar twisted a goblet in her hand, lost in thoughts while staring at the filthy table top. Thorin was sitting next to her, his elbows leaning on the table. Too many times his friend's eyes wandered off to her and he restrained a sigh. He understood why Thorin felt attracted to her, even when she wasn't as beautiful as she had been in the past, exposing herself more to the darkness than whatever creature should do. She was just as confident as in the beginning, although her confidence might be all that was left of the elf he'd once loved.

Elladan tried to distract himself by listening in to a conversation from a few tables ahead, but the men were speaking about corncobs and cauliflowers, so it wasn't really helpful.

Long days had gone by. Most of the time Scar had been gone, looking for orcs who might be able to inform them about Thorin's father. Therefore, they set course for Carn Dûm, beyond the lands of Angmar and Arnor. She claimed that was the place where Thror was last seen, but Elladan knew she was lying. Her plan however was still a mystery to him. If she had wanted to harm them, she could have done so a long time ago.

He took another sip of wine. Thoughts like this kept him busy all day long. He wished he could simply ask her, like he would have done in the past, but there was no one in Middle Earth he distrusted more than car. She was insane. Something he couldn't blame her for, but what made her a dangerous companion – even though he refused to call her his companion.

She was an elf who had forced herself on them. If one could even still identify her as an elf. She might still have her pointy ears and shiny hair, but that was the only indicator they belonged to the same race. He knew Scar would agree with his words. She also believed she was only a shadow, a rough version of who she used to be before...

Elladan's thoughts came to a halt when she suddenly got up. Her stool clattered on the floor and her eyes were aimed at the entrance of the pub, where an elf was standing. He was wearing a shiny armor, his hand resting upon his pommel. Messy, blonde hair hung in front of his face, between which two blue eyes were suspiciously taking in the environment.

Scar's eyes shot through the room. She was looking for a way out.

Elladan was shocked. Scar had always been calm, and unable to scare off.

Her lips formed dark words, and the man in the doorway started to laugh.

"Your dog is dead, in case you were looking for him," the man spoke in Black Speech.

A shiver crept down Elladan's spine. He abhorred that language, but father had wanted him to understand the tongue of the enemy.

"As will happen to you as well, within a moment."

Drawing his sword, he swung it around. The place had grown silent. Scar paid no attention to the stranger, but walked to the other side of the room.

"There is no escape, Moira. I have waited for this moment for years, and you know me. I only strike when I'm sure there will be no failure."