Chapter Forty | Ash, Dust and Death

This book is based and inspired by the Originals, with a tinge of the Vampire Diaries. I suggest that you watch the shows to understand some occurrences.

All rights go to The Originals television show on the CW, and Lisa Jane Smith (the author), except the characters and events that are purely of my imagination. PLEASE DO NOT COPY, OR ELSE YOU'LL BE REPORTED.

I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT IF ANYONE IS COPYING SECTIONS FROM THIS BOOK THAT ARE OF MY INVENTION, PLEASE TAKE ACTION.

(EDITED)

________ ♛♛♛ ________ ♛♛♛ ________ ♛♛♛

The song of the chapter is: Kingdom by Charlie XCX (from Mockingjay Part 1)

It's all black.

Your kingdom's turned me blank.

I'm paper and I'm snow,

I'm lost but I can't slow,

I'm lost but not alone,

It's all light.

The dark it burns my eyes,

My bones they used to glow,

But now I'm throwing stones,

I'm losing where to go.

Shadows on my back are moving slow,

They twist behind like

Quiet leaves in the wind.

________ ♛♛♛ ________ ♛♛♛ ________ ♛♛♛

          CHAPTER FORTY ASH, DUST AND DEATH

     I WAKE UP SURROUNDED by ash, dust and death, hearing nothing but the sound of chafing steel. The world has obtained a sandy sort of hue as embers fall from the sky, floating so beautifully that it is hard to imagine how fast everything exploded just a few minutes prior. The embers are like snowflakes, and I am reminded how, in my youth, I used to stick out my tongue to taste the pure substance.

     Now the air is laden with the smell of fire, suffocating my flailing lungs. I open and close my eyes sleepily, hazy figures swimming before me. I rattle in a deep breath and cough, the world darkening like a blue ink stain on a white cloth.

     The second sense that returns to me is my hearing. Just as I am about to shut my eyes, lulled into the black night, a tinny scream rips through the air. Someone begins sobbing, a cry so gut-wrenching that I sluggishly roll over, trying as hard as I can to sharpen my vision to find the inconsolable woman, mingling with the shrieks of others.

     Another whisper of a cry abruptly stops suddenly, drowning the clearing in a silence so deafening that it scares me more than the other woman's screeches of pain. I cough some more, bringing out blood whilst attempting to lay on my back so that I could try to stand up.

     "Ah!" I grimace in pain as I put my hands on my stomach. Or the remnants of one. I tilt my head forward, and the sight of the sheet of glass impaled into my abdomen nearly makes me black out again.

     Bravely, I gingerly place my hands on the glass and let out a strangled moan of agony as I rip it out of me. Coughing and gasping simultaneously, I fling the bloodied transparent material onto the mossy ground and haphazardly stumble to my feet, placing a hand on the torn wound of my stomach.