#3 - The War, The Blast and The Truth

Vault-Tec corporations created the Vault complexes to aid america in the event of a nuclear blast. Although this worked, and the Americans seemed somewhat prepared, they never intended to go to nuclear war at all. Instead, the Vaults were created for a social experiment and was firstly called Project: Safehouse. In actuality, these vaults had a much more sinister purpose, a project known as the "Societal Preservation Program"

The vaults could not possibly have saved the citizens of America from the ravages of a nuclear war or a viral pandemic. With a population of almost 400 million by , the U.S. would have needed over 400,000 Vaults to protect every man, woman and child. Vault-Tec was commissioned by the American government to build only 122 such Vaults. The true reason for the construction of the vaults was to allow the government to secretly study pre-selected segments of the American population, observe how they would react to the stresses of isolation, and how successfully they would re-colonize the devastated Earth and stars after they entered the vaults. 

However, the worst was realised and nuclear devastation hit the entire world. At the onset of the Great War that started and ended on Saturday, October 23 2077, the Vaults sealed shut without many of their intended inhabitants.

The surface of America, and the rest of the world, became a wasteland. A fallout. The destruction tore the landscape. All greenery and foliage was ripped from sight and buildings and cities were burnt to the ground. After the central blasts, the radiation took whatever was left behind. Insects and animals became mutated. Enlarged, limbless and ruthless. The Humans that somehow survived the blast or left their vault too early also succumbed to the radiation. Their skin melted and their brain withered away and they became nothing more than feral strips of flesh on bone. Years past, people emerged from their Vaults but a lot of them stayed shut. The people that had decided to venture out into the wasteland became lawless raiders or made a town or an authority of their own.

America got by, though slowly and surely, it was crumbling into an abyss of non existence.