Chapter 18

Riley's POV

   It took most of the day to form a smile on my lips. Not even Myles's cheery attitude brought a real smile to my lips. I smiled, but they were fake and everybody knew it. I cannot forgive Kyle. He did something that not only broke my heart, but killed innocent lives. I clenched my teeth and held back bitter tears. 

   Angelica patted my shoulder and stayed by my side for a while. She then went and spent time consoling Rylan and hanging out with Myles. Samantha walked awkwardly towards me. 

   "Thanks," I said when she came closer. "For showing me everything, I mean." 

   Samantha nodded solemnly. "I'm sorry if what you saw caused you sadness." 

   I gave her a fake smile, "Don't worry. It's okay." 

   She stared into my eyes. I fidgeted. Her eyes seemed to bore into me and see past my lies. "It's not okay. I'm sorry," she apologized. I looked away and tightened my grip on Luke's hand.  

    "Some things aren't okay but that doesn't mean they weren't important," I answered. Samantha nodded, accepting my answer. We turned around by the sound of laughter. We saw Myles well...being Myles as the angels around him laughed. I looked at the sleeping Luke beside me and decided to go see what was going on. I kissed Luke's forehead and went to join a group of angels.  

   I stood there, not sure where to sit. Samantha's hand closed around mine. She led me towards Gabriella and her group of women angels. Gabriella looked up and smiled. She beckoned us forward and patted to the empty space on the couch beside her. I sat beside her with Samantha following. Once I am seated, I looked at what Myles was doing. I raised an eyebrow when I saw him pretending to cry on Jonathan. 

   "It was my first kiss!" I heard him sob. Samantha blushed beside me. "I was too young for such a thing!" 

   I rolled my eyes. "He's being overdramatic," I told Samantha. She nodded but her hands were closed in tight fists. 

   "I am scarred for life!" Myles exclaimed. The angels around him chuckled but Samantha was not laughing. I scooted away from her as a dark aura shimmered around her. 

   She stood up and stalked towards Myles. Her eyes were blazing and her hand was held up in a lethal position. Myles finally turned around. His face showed no sign of tears but laughter. His eyes widened when he saw Samantha. "Hey Sammy..." he trailed off when he noticed her mood. 

   Samantha came up to him and smacked his face. Myles's face snapped to the right. A red hand mark was imprinted on his face. "Idiot!" Samantha yelled. "Did you think I had a choice? No one would kiss someone as childish as you!" Silence followed. 

   Suddenly there was a low chuckle. "You got owned," a husky voice said. My heart rose, I would always know that voice. Luke stood at the doorway. His body was still badly burnt but he was able to hold himself up. 

   "Luke!" my voice cut into the silence of others. I jumped to my feet and met Luke into a warm embrace. Our lips connected before anyone was able to object. Luke pulled me away and avoided my gaze. "I'm so sorry Riley-" 

   My kiss halted his words. "Don't speak of it. It was not your fault. I love you." 

   Luke hesitated then finally smiled. I smiled back. A true smile, no lies. 

•. •. •.

Kyle's POV

   "A fire," Skylar said. "That's what killed Riley's parents." 

   My teeth clenched and my jaw hardened. What have they done? Lorice and Katie are to blame for the death of my beloved's parents. I rested my head in my palms. Why did thy keep this a secret from me? Lucifer would be the only one killed if they had. Skylar's voice brought my head up.