Chapter 2

"You're the man from before..." I stare at him, “But how? You don't look any older or younger." 

He puts his arm over my shoulder, “I’ll tell you somewhere else." he guided me into an abandoned park. 

I think in my head of possibilities. Maybe he got plastic surgery. He got frozen then defrosted...nah."How old are you?"  

He hesitates, “Far older than you." 

"I need a date Luke." 

"I don't know myself. I'd say about three-thousand years old, give or take a few." He looks away, avoiding eye contact. 

"Liar." I couldn't believe him. “No human can live that long." 

"I'm not a human." he says. His voice sounded strained as if this shamed him. 

"Then what are you?"  

He looks at me directly in the eye when he says this,” I am Lucifer Morningstar. Or as you might say it, the Devil."

"The Devil?" Am I going to marry a crazy person? 

"Yes." he saw the expression on my face,” You don't believe me." 

"It's hard to believe." I answer. 

He nodded. “I can prove it to you." 

"How?" 

He starts to take off his shirt. 

"Wait! What are you doing?!" I started to panic. 

"Just watch." He threw his shirt on the floor then lumps began to form on his back. I let out a frightened squeal as I saw something black cut through his flesh. Black wings tore out of his back. 

"Oh my..." I could not believe what I saw. 

Lucifer took a few steps away from me, “I’m despicable aren't I?" he plucked out a black feather,” What was once white is stained black with evil. That's what I get for going against Him." 

"Luke...."I trailed off. There was pain. Pain in his voice. Sorrow on his wings. Heartbreaking scars on his chest.  

"How'd this happen?" I ask. 

"I was jealous Riley." he sits down on a nearby bench. “God has always loved me. I always thought that is how it must be." he did a nervous chuckle, “Boy was I wrong. He had just finished creating the first human. He named him Adam. I didn't mind him in the least until God began to love them more and more." 

I sat down next to him. It is strange; I knew he was bad, evil. However, hearing him say his story made me think of him as a normal person, almost human. 

"I began to envy the humans." he continued. “I tried to be better so that God can love me more than them. He was happy, yes. Nevertheless, he still loved his new creations. That was when I thought the humans had poisoned Him. Tricked him into loving them more than us, made him into someone else. At that time I decided that I would fight for my love." 

Wind came and left me chilly. Lucifer did not seem to mind. I wanted to so dearly run away and beg my dad to cancel the engagement because he was the Devil. However, that was unfair. Therefore, I stayed put and listened to Lucifer. 

"I gathered many of my brethren to come and fight with me. We would show God his mistake of loving the humans over us. The battle was ferocious. Deadlier than any civil war. We killed friends, and brothers. Close to the end, I shouted up at Him. Why? I asked him. Why them?" he paused. I could tell that the next part is something painful, “He did not answer me. I was angry. I flew up to him, killing anyone in my way. I never made it there though. God sent a lightning bolt to finish me. It was awful, but still I fought. He struck me again. Tears were in my eyes. I fell. Down to your world, along with my brethren who fought by my side. We fell. I believed God had abandoned me. I would never feel love again. Then I met you." 

Lucifer was startled when he saw me crying. He then smiled and wiped my tears away. 

"I'm s-so sorry." I said through tears. 

"There is nothing to be sorry about. Anyways only God can forgive me and I doubt he would." 

"I would. I think he would too." I sniffed. 

Lucifer smiled and tucked me into a hug.

I stayed in Lucifer's embrace. Why do I cry for him? Hadn't he deserved what happened to him? A part of me just cared. 

"Are you okay Riley?" Luke whispered. I nodded. 

He let me go and I sat down as he pulled in his wings and put on his shirt. He came to me, “Lets go." 

"Okay." 

I let him take my hand as he guided me home. His hand was warm. I could feel his pulse through it, his heart was beating fast. 

"Why do you want me as a fiancé?" I ask him. 

"Isn't it obvious?" 

I shake my head,” Not to me." 

"I really like you Riley. You make me feel like if I was still an angel. I want to be with you." he looks at me,” Is that what you asked for?" 

I blush and nod, “Did you like me since back then?" 

He nods,” You were the most amazing human I have ever met. You were not greedy as I thought humans were. You were something special." 

We reached my house minutes later. “Thank you Luke." 

He smiled, I didn't call him Lucifer. “It was my pleasure Riley." 

I looked at my watch," I should give my mother her medication right now. We can't afford a hospital." 

"Did you agree to marry me so that you'd get money for your mother’s medical expenses?" Luke asks. 

I look down at my shoes, hiding my shame.  

"I see..." Luke says. He bends down and kisses my forehead. I look up at him, he's smiling,” Ill make you fall for me Riley. For sure." he walks away and leaves me at my front door with mixed emotions running through me.