Chapter 17

Myles's POV

Samantha's lips sent a raging fire throughout my body. Agony seared through my bones and made it hard to think. What the hell is going on? A piercing red light blared in my mind and washed over me, consuming my being. I struggled to escape its grasp, resisting to be pulled into the flames. Another force flowed in and sent a wave of energy towards me. It would be as if someone smacked my hand for doing something wrong. 

"Stop it, idiot!" Samantha's voice said. It emitted all around me and then suddenly she appeared in front of me. She was wearing a long lavender dress with a matching jewel crown. 

I noticed that I had also taken shape in my mind and was wearing a blue-grey suit with a cloak and a matching hat. The pain did not ebb away and neither did the red in my mind. 

"What's going on?" I thought. 

"I'm not sure," Samantha said. I looked at her, startled. I guess my thoughts are my voice in the realm of my brain. 

"I just knew that somehow this would show Riley what Luke did in the hospital," she continued. 

"How do you know?" I ask. 

She shrugged and stared at me accusingly, "You said my gift was knowing so I guess this is the right thing." 

I blushed as I wrapped my mind around the situation, "So umm...right now...we're kissing?" 

Samantha's face turns red and she looks away, "It's the only way to show them!" 

I consider apologizing, because I did say something uncomfortable but then a bright light emits from the floor. Well, I guess it is the floor. I looked down and it was as if I was watching Luke on the world's largest TV. I stared down and saw Luke and Mr. Caters going into the hospital and talking to Mrs. Caters. I turned my head away when the ceiling crushed Riley's parents. 

Tears stung my eyes and I dared not look down but I did. I looked down just in time to see Mrs. Cater's opened eyes staring at me, a smile playing on her ghostly lips. I gasped and stumbled back. Mrs. Caters had woken! I fell on the floor and the video beneath me began to shatter. I saw that there was more red fire trying to consume me. Samantha called my name and tried to get to me but the screen floor beneath me cracked, and I fell into a dark void of nothingness. 

•••

Riley's POV

I stared at the image Samantha and Myles were producing. Once there lips touched, they were enclosed in a white orb. The orb glowed for a minute and then pictures produces on its screen. Transfixed, I watched as Luke and my father stepped into the screen. They were talking and having a good time. 

The real Luke, beside me, squeezed my hand, "Don't let your eyes linger," he said, "You may find a cruel miracle." 

I smiled and kissed his cheek, "Yes, that you survived was a miracle." 

Luke averted my gaze, "I wasn't talking about that..." 

I was about to ask him what he meant but the screen's video caught my attention. I saw that Luke had gotten hurt and was telling my dad to get out there. My dad looked as if he would agree but then he saw Luke and shook his head. He went over to my mom and kissed her sleeping lips. Tears formed in my eyes as I predicted what would happen next. The roof creaked, Luke shouted and then the ceiling crushed my parents.  

I saw Luke run to my parents and push things away. He held a hand and then uncovered the owner's body. I gasped at what I saw. My mother’s eyes stared back at me. The image suddenly went fuzzy. The orb collapsed and Myles fell on the floor.