At Least I Have Luna

Hermione's Perspective

After I read the Marriage Plan, I felt sick. The ministry just couldn't do this. I have to give up my magic. I don't really mean it, but I will consider it. Luckily I only had two classes today; charms and magical architecture.

An hour later I was walking to charms with my books. All during class I was thinking about my situation with Malfoy and the ministry. I was so unfocused I didn't raise my hand when Professor Flitwick asked a question! Everything went the same in magical architecture. I've already forgotten what homework was assigned.

From their I went to dinner and was forced to sit at the Slytherin table with Malfoy. We ate in silence and waited for Professor McGonagall to show us to our separate rooms. When it seemed that everyone was done eating, she stood up and spoke, "5 couples to a common room, each couple getting  a separate dormitory. I hope that all of you will be able to get along with your partner tonight, seeing as it is never good to have bad impressions." Her eyes flickered to Malfoy and me.

"I will start by showing Potter and Weasley, Parkinson and Weasley, Lovegood and Nott, Zabini and Chang, and Malfoy and Granger to their shared common room. I sighed with relief when I heard that I would be sharing a common room with Luna, Cho, and Ginny. Well, Ginny might be busy with Harry, Cho and I don't know each other too well... At least I have Luna.

I got up from the bench with Malfoy and followed Professor McGonagall up four flights of stairs, accompanied by the other 3 couples. She took us into a grand room. It was divided into fourths by wall color. One corner was bright blue with an emerald green stripe Down the middle. Another was dark green with a cherry red stripe. The third was two shades of red, and the fourth was red with an emerald green stripe.

The furniture resembled the wall color in each corner. In the back there was a staircase and door. I opened the door and saw a magnificent kitchen, filled with muggle cooking items. I couldn't wait to teach everyone about those. The staircase led to 4 doors, each leading to a moderately sized room with complete bathroom.

I wasn't the only one who had drifted upstairs. Luna was looking at the door that said the Nott's and smiling. "Luna?" I asked. "Yes." "Are you disappointed with who you were sorted with?" She looked at me for a moment and said, "I know I'd be happy with whoever I got." I nodded my head and stared up at the door that read The Malfoys. Ughh. I'd forgotten about having to change my last name.

I lifted a shaking hand and put it down on the golden knob and turned slowly. The room was beautiful, resembling one of the red and green quarters below. The bed frame had a serpent and Lion sitting way closer together than I ever would with Malfoy. The cover was green with red designs. Two bedside tables were placed on each side with a lamp. There was a desk in front of a window with deep red curtains. On top of the desk were 3 quills, ink, and some extra parchment paper.

The bathroom was silver and gold, the other two colors of Gryffindor and Slytherin. There were two sinks; one with a silver serpent as the knob, and the other gold with a lion's tail. The shower curtain was gold, and the towel set was silver. Floor was a creamy tile; a great neutral color to go well with anything. When I stepped back into the room Malfoy was already looking around and had brought up his things, as well as mine.

"Thank you," I said. "For getting my bags." He looked at me and laughed. "Like it was my idea. That McGonagall told me to be a gentleman," Malfoy said, laughing meanly. "Oh, and I'll get you some blankets so you don't get too cold tonight. It could get chilly on the floor," he added. "I'm not the one sleeping on the floor here! You need to be a gentleman, remember?" I said, looking at him angrily.

Suddenly professor McGonagall barged in asking, "And what is all this ruckus?" Malfoy looked up and said, "Granger thinks she's too good to sleep on the floor," he said in his best truthful voice. She sighed and said, "You two will share a bed, whether you like it or not," and she walked out of the room, leaving the door open. "I'm going to go do my homework," I said, and I went downstairs to get started.

As it turned out, Malfoy and I weren't the only couple not agreeing. Shouting was heard from upstairs, and a few minutes later, Pansy came in and sat in front of me, scowling. "That weasel is so messy! He's already messed up the bed, and gotten crumbs in the bathroom because he got hungry on the toilet! I, mean, who does that?" She asked me. I was surprised that she hadn't called me a mudblood yet so I went along with it. "He really is an inconsiderate idiot. Always messy, angered easily." I said.

She looked at me and asked,"Why would you ever want to date him? If he's so messy and inconsiderate and all?" "Well, you have a point there. We'd only just started, but it was weird, because we'd been just friends for 7 whole years, you know?," I spoke to her sincerely. She nodded her understanding and went into the other red and green corner and began her schoolwork from that day. Wow. Maybe she really had changed. She didn't seem so hateful just now. Like she really understood what everyone around her had gone through. We could even be friends. Maybe we could form a friendship through our hatred of Ron's inconsiderate behavior.

I'm looked down at my work and thought, maybe life won't be so bad after all. Although I still had get through the night with Malfoy. Ughh.