You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Hermione's Perspective

Now sitting in the great hall, I looked up to watch Head Mistress McGonagall give the start of term speech. And as if she were waiting for me to turn my head, she stood and began to speak.

"Another year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry! Although this year will be difficult and challenging for our returning 7th years, we hope you will all be able to focus on your studies." She paused here to look around at all of the students. "We also have a new defense against the dark arts teacher, Lucius Malfoy." Everyone started talking immediately. "But he's supposed to be in Azkaban!" I exclaimed. I didn't have an explanation for this.( Which was the first in a while.) "Horace Slughorn will teach potions.We may now begin the start of term feast."she sat down and looked at the plate in front of her. And as if on cue, all of the plates in the great hall filled with potatoes, vegetables, and meats.

I looked at  Harry and Ron. They were both stuffing their faces with what had appeared before them. How were they not wondering what on earth Lucius was doing here. Well, not here, exactly, he wasn't present. I rolled my eyes, but it went unnoticed. When everyone was finished, their plates were cleared and replaced by pudding, cake, and other sweets. 30 minutes later groans could be heard from all over the great hall. Clearly some people had over eaten. Professor McGonagall stood up and said "Everyone except 7th years are dismissed." Having already stood up, I sat back down slowly.

Murmurs exploded all over the great hall. "What do you think this is about?" Ron asked suspiciously. "Probably just a way to say thanks to everyone who fought at the Battle of Hogwarts" Harry suggested. I wasn't too sure what it was about so I just said, "I have no clue."

Crack.

Kingsley Shacklebolt had apperated into the great hall. "What's he doing here? And I thought you couldn't apperate onto school grounds." I said. "They've probably lowered their security now that they're sure Voldemort's dead." Harry answered.

Kingsley, the newly appointed Minister of Magic, walked slowly up to the Professors table. He looked worried and tired, like he'd been up all night, thinking. He said, "Well let's just cut to the chase. There's been a new law passed that will effect you all. Everyone ages 17 to 35 must marry by the end of the year." He said.

Several gasps and yells broke out through the hall. I wasn't too happy about it. I mean, I hoped to marry and have children someday, but not until I had a career. I wanted to scream, but I kept my cool. Ron and I would be fine together and could have kids later. "Why?" A yell came from Hufflepuff.

"Too many of our number were lost at war. You will be sorted with your partner tomorrow morning at 9:00 and given your marriage plan. If you object to the law, your magic will be taken away from you." Kingsley answered.

Now I wanted to scream. "You can't do this!" Yells like this were heard from all over the hall. "You've got to be kidding me!" I contributed. "Come on, we're leaving." I said to Ron and Harry. I stood up and stormed away from the Gryffindor table, not looking to see if they were following me.

My life was officially over.