Drift of Focus

August POV
Okay, I lied. I'm not selling drugs. I would never put myself at risk of going back to jail. I'm too in love with my kids to do that.

Plus I missed their whole pregnancy so I feel like I have to make that time back up.

But Mimi was right. Teak visiting me at the door fucked me up. It was so surreal and it made me realize how much I really missed my dog. And how much I didn't grieve his passing. And how much I hate those fucking cops that busted and killed my fucking dog.

I sit in my car and just listen to music for hours. I felt bad about telling Mimi I was selling and using drugs. It was probably in her head and she didn't need none of that stress.

Mimi POV
At ten o'clock the doors open. I slam my head in the pillows to pretend I was sleeping. August creep in moments later.

He try to get in the bed with me and wrap his arm around me. I push his arms away, "Stop".

"Mi-"

"Go. The couch, somewhere else. Leave me alone."

He quietly exits.
~
At twelve o'clock the baby's monitors go off.

I wipe the sleep out my eyes and go to their aid.

While walking in the pitch black, I trip and fall. I get up and turn the light on.

"August? What are you doing?"

He was laid in between Sky and X's cribs.
"You told me I couldn't sleep wit you."

"Babe, why are you on the floor though? Come on, get up."

I take his hands and help him up.

I change Skylar's diaper and make a quick bottle. August does the same for Xavier.
~
"This was all so unecessary Aug, and you know it." He knew what I was referring to. We sat on our bed, face to face.

"I know, I apologize."

"Can you tell me?" I scoot closer to him and take his hands.

"Tell you what?"

I dead stare him in the eyes, "August Anthony, don't play with me."

"It was Teak...it was Teak at the door."

I caress his head on my chest, "Aw baby. I'm so sorry."

"He was just there...he looked kind of see-through. He looked so beautiful."

"Of course he did. He's an angel. Your guardian angel."

"It really messed me up," I wiped his fallen tears and rubbed his back, "It messed me up because I couldn't reach out to him. Couldn't do our handshake. And he couldn't be here."

"It's going to be okay. You know now he's watching over you. Even when he's gone he's still here."

"I keep telling myself that but..."

"No buts. August you gotta let him go. Move on. And trust he's still watching over you."

"You right, but that don't change the fact that it's hard."

"You gotta be strong though."

"It's just too much."

"Well at least we have a new home. Newborn twins and each other."

"Got dammit, I didn't ask for none of this!"

He break out of my hold and stand up.
"What do you mean?"

"I didn't ask for this "home", for no kids, for my best friend to be dead, to have gon to jail. None of it. And when you tell me to be strong it's hard. I don't wanna hear that shit no more."

If I had responded, this would have been turned into an argument. So I just put my hands up, and surrender.

"I don't know. We can discuss this another time. I'm exhausted."

"Imagine that. Mimi is exhausted."

"Look, from now on why don't we focus on the twins? They should be our only thing to worry about. If it's not about them I don't wanna hear about it."

"Whatever."