Eighteen

18.
I'm 18 today. Its my birthday. My eighteenth birthday.

Instead of being happy I feel horrible. There is no trace of exitment in my body, none. It's not a big deal any way. Well not to my mother. I look outside of my window and see the sun slowly rising.

My birthday has never been celebrated in this house. Never. In fact I think my mom forgot that I even have a birthday.

Here's the thing with my 'family'.
My parents, John and Maya, were never prepared to have a child. They never wanted children because they hate them. So when they found out that they were going to have me, My mother wanted to get an abortion. The only reason why I'm alive is because my grandmother convinced them to let them keep me.

My mother was 16 while my father was 18. They thought they were in love and that they were solemates. Till I came along and destroyed everything.

When I was born, my mother never gave me a name. Aunt Lisa, the lady who was our neighbour, gave me the name Wendy. I never got the chance to ask her why she chose the name cause she past when I was 4.

Aunt Lisa was the only person who showed me love in my entire life. She was the first person to ever buy me a cake on my birthday. She's the only thing I've ever known to a real mom.

It's a Monday morning and its in the middle of June. Specifically the 17th. I got up from my bed to go get a shower. Its the first the day of school and like any other normal teenager, I hate school.

Here's my theory on school, high school to be specific. It's a different planet. The reason why I say this is because as soon as you step on to the school grounds your transported to a world where you either matter or not. That's why you sometimes get the ones who will lie about who they are just to matter to someone else.

As I stand in front of my closet, I hear something break downstairs. My mom's awake. She's probably looking for headache pills since she was drunk last night. Again.

"Wendy! " here we go again. " where's the asprin?" I reach into my drawer and take out a packet of aspirin. My mom never knows where the asprin is which is shocking because as an alcoholic, you would think that she does.

I run downstairs after putting my dress on. The normal sight I see when I get into the kitchen does not surprise me. I put the packet on the kitchen countertop, take and take an apple out of the fruit basket.

"There it is" she says when she turns around to see the packet on countertop. "What are you doing here, your usually out the house by now." My mother asks.

" I'm 18 today " I tell her with hopefull eyes. She doesn't say anything at first so I decide to keep talking. " its my birthday today"

It's quiet for a while before she answers " So? Since when is your birthday important. I thought you would have learned that by now but its clear you haven't changed, your still stupid."

I stare at my mother with no words as she continues to hurt me with her words. "Nobody cares about you Wendy, your nothing. Your very existence is a waste to this planet. And the fact that you have been polluting this beautiful planet for 18 years, makes me want to puke."

With that said she turns around and walks out of the kitchen like nothing happened. I sit still in my chair for a while. Trying my best not to cry. After a few minutes of collecting myself, I stand up and walk out the door towards the bus stop.

As soon as I get to the bus stop, the bus arrives and I get in. I walk to my usual spot towards the back while thinking about what happened a few minutes ago. I take a seat near the window and look look out.

I don't know why I still get affected by what my mom says. I guess I'll never get used to the hurtful words she says. I mean she's my mom, isn't she supposed to support and tell me that she loves me?

All my life my mom has never said those three words to me. It's like she becomes allergic to them when she has to say them to me. It doesn't bother me though ,cause the feeling is mutual.

The bus makes one more stop before heading to school. When I get off the bus, I take time to take in the scene in front of me. Jocks wearing their football jackets, the bitch crew wearing super short shorts walking around like they own the school, the nerds hurrying towards their classes before they are caught by one of the bullies.

Yup. It's good to be back.