●Chapter Four●

Start from the beginning

"Hello," said the next girl. "My name is Victoria Johnson"

I stopped tapping and looked up from my phone. It was her. She placed her bag down and stood in the middle of the stage. I slid down into my seat and put my hood on so she couldn't see me. Both of the twin's jaws were down to the floor.

I scooted lower into my seat.

"She already knows that it's you," Janet whispered placing her hand over the microphone. "Stop being weird"

I was watching how she was stretching and practicing on her own while we reset the music. I noticed her trying to avoid some of the more complicated moves and sticking to the simpler ones.

"Victoria!" I said still hiding. "When you do the hip roll, make sure your heels come off the ground and not your toes!!"

"What are you doing?" Janese asked me. "You didn't give any help to the other girls—"

Janet placed a hand over her sister's mouth, "Read the room sis"

When Vicky was done warming up, she got into the beginning pose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Victoria's POV)

This has been the hardest three days of my entire life. Between this and my ballet classes, I'm surprised my body hasn't caved in from exhaustion. It's been hard keeping this from my mom. She has my day to day schedule locked down tight. When I'm supposed to leave home, my extracurricular activities, even my night time routine. I've been telling her that I was studying at Bianca's house these past couple of days. But if by some miracle I do end up getting this part, I'll have to tell her the truth eventually.

I've never been so nervous to perform in my entire life. Thousands of people have seen me on stage dancing and that's a piece of cake. But there are three people who are judging in the auditorium and I feel like I'm going to pass out.

And one of those people is Dominic. The secret person from my past that I can't even remember. I've asked around school and no one seems to know about him and me being any sort of friendship or relationship. Everyone just knew him as this amazing choreography that runs a dance studio a couple of blocks from the school.

But there had to have been something to make him want to place flower petals on my parking spot. Or to have a photo of me that I don't even recognize. I've tried to talk to him all week, but all he does is ignore me. As if the sight of me makes him sad.

While I waited for my turn, I put my earbuds in so I could listen to music while i stretched. Music always calms me down. There is no better cure for nerves than listening to a little Rihanna.

Someone tapped my shoulder while I was sitting in my splits. I looked up to see that it was Derek (one of the choreographers) telling me it was almost my turn.

"Are you ready for this?!" Derek asked.

"If by ready you mean, are you about to throw up? Then the answer is yes"

"You're going to be fine," He held a hand out for me to stand up. "If you do what you've been doing these past couple of days, you're a shoo-in"

"Number ten!" said a voice from the auditorium. "You're up next"

Even though I knew that Dominic was a judge, I didn't think I'd be this nervous in front of him. I barely knew the guy and for some reason he makes me nervous. If he's as good everyone says that he is, then I really want to impress him. 

I introduced myself while placing my duffel bag to the side. When the twins got a good look at me, both of their jaws dropped at the same time. I noticed that the boy Dominic didn't want to show his face for some reason.

I looked over my shoulder to see Derek and Lizzy (the other choreographer) giving me a thumbs up. I smiled and continued walking through the routine while the judges were talking amongst themselves.

"Victoria," I heard Dominic calling me from the microphone." When you do the hip roll, make sure your heels come off the floor and not your toes"

Nice going Vicky. You haven't even started and you're already making a bad impression. Get it together!

When I made the correction, and felt like i was ready, I got into the beginning pose.

Okay Vicky, you've done this routine a bunch of times in your bedroom. You can do this.

I didn't do too bad. In fact, I did great! Once I got over the nerves, I actually started having fun. It was like no one else was around but me and my feet. I was having so much fun that I started free styling. It was mostly because I forgot the rest of the routine. But I didn't care. I was going to get through it.

The music finally ended and I stood in the middle of the stage while the judges deliberated.

"Thank-you," one of the twins said. "We'll let you know"

"Thank-you," I said trying to catch my breath.

And with that, I grabbed my stuff and walked backstage.

Saturday and Sunday was stressful. I couldn't think of anything but the audition results. Derek and Lizzy said that they would let us know in a couple of days. I haven't eaten or gotten any sleep since then. I just kept my phone on me at all times.Waiting for one of them text me.

This is what it's going to be like when I go out for other auditions in the future. The long and agonizing wait. I wish they would just hurry up and give me the bad news so I can start the healing process.

And finally, on Sunday afternoon, I got a text from Derek.