Chapter 28

[ edited on May 10, 2020 ]

Brian was handling everything quite well, thought Alexandra. She introduced him a moment ago and now he and Nicholas were already talking about cars. Alexandra could only furrow her eyebrows to make her disbelief visible. Of all the topics they could choose from, they had to choose cars.

Of course, at the back of her mind, Alexandra was glad they weren't talking about her. Had Brian been a little more like Carlos, Nicholas would have known about Alexandra's misadventures as a child.

Alexandra, already bored from listening to which brand of car was the fastest, absently looked around. Looking at other people wasn't the best way to entertain herself, but it was at least something. She regretted doing so as soon as her gaze landed on the man with a fox mask. He was a few ways from her but Alexandra was certain that he was looking at her. His immobile stature was a contrast to the people around him, who were casually talking and mingling. It was unnerving.

Alexandra looked away, forcing herself to listen to Nicholas and Brian's conversation. She still felt like he was watching her and so she risked another glance at his direction. He was no longer there.

Nicholas noticed her and asked if she was alright. "You look pale," he said.

Alexandra forced herself to smile and assured him she was fine. He frowned. Knowing he didn't believe her, Alexandra admitted that she wasn't.

"Maybe you should get some fresh air," remarked Brian, somehow reminding her of their plan. Nicholas agreed. At this point, Alexandra knew that their plan had to be altered slightly.

Before they could even take a step away from where they were, the tide of attention shifted in the room. Alexandra looked and saw King Charles standing in front of everyone on his elevated stage. Alexandra glanced at Nicholas, hoping for some sort of explanation. He seemed confused as he looked at her.

"Odd," he said, "I haven't introduced you to him yet. That should come first before the announcement."

"The ball has served its initial purpose," began the king. "I know most of you have already gathered this from the events earlier but humor me."

Alexandra didn't get what else the king said because Nicholas squeezed her hand. She focused her attention on her mate. His eyes were lined with worry.

"This isn't good," he said at a low voice, just enough for her to hear and not loud enough for others to overhear. "Unless it's alright with you, but I don't think it would be. We're going to introduce you to everyone — as in, your real name."

She was sure that she turned pale at that moment. "People will ask questions," Alexandra concluded. She grew nervous. She wasn't ready to answer anything about the past months. "Please don't make me do this," she begged. "I can't do this."

The conflict was clear in his eyes. Nicholas looked at the king and then back at her. He seemed at a loss with what to do. Alexandra understood how important it is for them to be introduced — and for them not to make a run for it. She also knew Nicholas wouldn't want to force her to do something she wasn't comfortable with doing.

Alexandra jumped when a hand touched her shoulder. She looked and saw a woman smiling at her.

"You don't have to be nervous," she said. "It's alright with us, even if you're human. We don't hate you for that."

Alexandra's eyes widened and, automatically, she said thanks.

"What's she talking about?" Nicholas asked, still with a low voice, clearly confused. To be fair, Alexandra actually forgot she was pretending to be one as soon as they met.