Chapter 26

[ edited on April 3, 2020 ]
___

Alexandra sighed, effectively catching Christian's attention. He asked her what was wrong.

"Angelina and I should have switched places when we dropped Carlos and Sam off," she said, "we're lucky Carlos used Brian's brush — that kind of forced them to switch places. At least Brian's your beta." Alexandra eyed the guard who stood just a few cars from where they were. He seemed to be inspecting every vehicle entering the castle.

Christian moved the car forward. "What does this have to do with you and Angelina?" His brows were furrowed. "It'll be fine. I could just say you're my friend."

"Okay, but something else is still bothering me," Alexandra said. "I used effluvium. I don't have a scent. How do I explain that to the prince?"

She pretended she didn't notice Christian's hold on the wheel tighten. She knew Christian knew she was right. Alexandra felt frustrated at how no one was able to think about this detail beforehand. The car moved forward again. Three cars left before them.

Christian was thinking. Alexandra could see it. Growing desperate, she turned to Noah, who was sitting at back of the car. He seemed deep in thought as well, brows furrowed. Then, something crossed his face. She saw his eyes widen behind his mask. Noah bent forward and rummaged through his bag.

"What are you doing?" Alexandra asked.

Noah took out a woven pouch filled with vials of liquid. "Paul and I are working on something. I'm just not sure if I brought some with me." As he spoke, he sifted through each vial.

"Some what?" Christian asked as he brought the car forward.

"Here," Noah brought it up the level of his face and stared at it. Alexandra waited for him to explain what it is. He opened the vial and looked at her. "Drink this."

"She is not drinking that," Christian grimaced as he smelt the acrid scent coming from the vial Noah was holding. Alexandra ignored him as she took the vial from his hands. Christian's lips thinned as he brought the car forward.

"What's it for?" she asked Noah, staring at the transparent liquid.

"It will make you smell like a human, but only for a few hours," he said. Before Christian could even say anything else, Noah spoke again. "It's better than having to explain why in the world doesn't she have any scent at all. The prince isn't dumb."

"He might be," mumbled Christian.

Alexandra eyed the guard. He leaned forward and spoke to the driver of the car in front of them. She downed the vial as quickly as she could, her face crumpling at the taste. It tasted like spoiled milk. Yes, she has tasted spoiled milk.

Noah took out a spray bottle and sprayed at nothing in particular. Alexandra knew the acrid smell of the vial in the car was gone now. Feeling a bit self-conscious, she placed her hand over her mouth and tried to smell her breath as inconspicuous as she could. She smiled to herself when she couldn't detect the smell of the liquid.

Alexandra watched the guard nod at the driver before the car in front of them advanced into the castle grounds. Christian drove forward and rolled his window down.

"State your name, sir," said the guard.

"Alpha Christian of the Night Moon pack," Christian said. The guard peered inside the car and Alexandra smiled at him, silently praying that he'd ask no more questions.

"You're bringing a human?" asked the guard. Christian nodded and explained that Alexandra was a friend of his and that she was still single. Alexandra refrained rolling her eyes at his statement. He had to point that fact out. The guard noticed Noah at the back. "And the boy?"