Chapter 2

[ Edited on April 25, 2016 ]

_____

The nightmares began their regular visitations after that incident. She vaguely remembered how everything looked like after her mother's death. Fourteen-year-old Alexandra hadn't realized the impact it would cause on them. Her father disappeared in the woods for two weeks, mourning and howling right after her mother was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Despite the fact that her father and mother weren't mates, they both shared an intense bond. The reason behind that strange bond they both had remained unknown for Alexandra. She only held onto mere guesses and theories about it: Either her father and mother never got to meet their own mates or something else.

The brunette sighed deeply, pulling her knees up to her chest and forming a ball as she rested her head on the wall beside her bed.

Brian, no matter how much he had tried to stay strong for both Alexandra and Carlos, was equally devastated as they were at their mother's sudden death. There were a few times when she and Carlos would catch him crying inside his room, holding a photograph of the woman they all loved.

Carlos stuck close to Alexandra after that night, giving hints on how she reminded him of their mother. Her eyes turned towards a photograph on her nightstand. It was taken on her fourteenth birthday, where her mother stood beside her, beaming at the camera with a smile as if she wanted to tell everyone that her daughter had finally grown up.

Now that she was already eighteen years old — not that she needed any reminding from Carlos' slip up earlier — Alexandra could clearly see the resemblance between the two of them, except for her eyes.

Strangely, her eyes had a hint of silver in them. It oddly looked like a pale shade of blue with a hint of gray, but Christian insisted that it sometimes shined like silver.

Christian was, as anyone would put it, the childhood best friend everyone would be expecting her to end up with. In their kind, it wasn't that easy to seal fate between two people.

Eighteen was the magic number; the age barrier. Once crossed, the shifter's senses would begin to heighten as well as the development of their scent that allows their mate to recognize them.

Alexandra hardly ever thought about the concept of mating. She never had the strength to ask her father about it, afraid of sheer embarrassment and an answer that might be different from what she imagined it would be.

Her train of thought was interrupted when something bumped into her window. Curiously, she uncurled herself from her position and stood up, making her way towards the window.

The brunette extended her arms as she opened it, lifting the clear glass separating her from the outside world up to the ceiling. Almost immediately, the cold wind blew towards her, making her smile. Her eyes stared straight ahead, watching the sunrise from the horizon. The castle's mesmerizing silhouette caught her attention for a moment, and she couldn't help but wonder about how was life being a royal. Was it hectic? She would never know.

"Rapunzel, Rapunzel!" Her moment of contemplation was shattered at the loud, familiar voice calling to her — or some fictional character he was referring to. Alexandra looked down, and there stood her prince-charming-wannabe. Folding her hands beneath her chin, she raised an eyebrow at him. "Let down your hair!"

Typical Christian. She shook her head, not quite believing him for showing up this early and for doing such a strange thing. "My hair may be long, but couldn't you just find a ladder or something? Maybe two arrows shot at you by the castle guards?"