Chapter 8

[ Edited on May 19, 2016 ]

_____

No one spoke as they made their way back to the pack house. It wasn't because they were all deemed speechless because of the kitsune. It was, however, because of the fact that all four of them were wolves and Alexandra still didn't have their mind-link yet.

Christian could do nothing but silently pad alongside Alexandra and listen to Carlos' scattered thoughts as he worried about Alexandra. Brian, on the other hand, kept sniffing the air, perchance the kitsune would return. His friend, Sam, was beginning to formulate a plan on scaring Alexandra with a spider again as soon as she speaks. It earned him a growl from Christian.

He felt her fingers stroke the fur on his head. Alexandra had been doing that ever since they left that spot, although she didn't seem to be aware of what she was doing. Christian wanted to ask her if she needed anything; he wanted to comfort her. But he was still in his lupine form and it wouldn't do anyone any good if he tried to fulfill his thoughts while naked.

As soon as they reached the pack house, everyone fell silent as they stared at Alexandra, who squirmed uncomfortably under their curious gazes. Knowing what she wanted him to do, Christian led Alexandra up the stairs and into one of the rooms, telling the others that they should also change back.

A chorus of agreements came from Brian, Carlos and Sam.

Alexandra didn't speak to him at all as soon as the door was closed. All she did was sit on the edge of the bed and stare blankly at the wooden flooring. She looked so... emotionless.

All at once, it dawned on him. Christian, despite his endeavor to keep himself from freaking out, freaked out. He barked at her, then at the window, before running around the room, screaming out at the others' mind-links.

The kitsune could have succeeded in draining all of her emotions. Was that possible? In the books he was forced to read, Christian could remember a vague sentence that confirmed his suspicions. If that happened, then he was screwed. His father would surely be disappointed of him for failing to save his own best friend.

Much to his half-amazement and disappointment, only Carlos was in lupine form at the moment he freaked out.

Wait, what?! Oh my glob, what the hell?! Are you sure? This is — no, we're — disaster — screwed — Father's gonna kill me — is she okay?! No, this can't — happening — damn! Brian's going to — the door! Alpha Ruben's gonna kill me — I don't have hands — hinges — Brian! What the hell?! I can't explain — lupine form —

Christian couldn't understand much of what Carlos just said, mostly because it involved incoherent sounds and words. But he certainly shared the feeling Carlos was having at the moment — especially the part where Brian could possibly have broken the door down to ask if Carlos was okay.

Yep. Definitely screwed.

With all the emotions overwhelming him, Christian barely noticed Alexandra's equally freaked-out look at his display.

***

Christian wouldn't listen to her. Alexandra quickly scanned the room for anything that could attract his attention. Why was he freaking out?

Ever since they entered the room, she couldn't take her mind off of what happened earlier. Her heart wrenched painfully in her chest at the revival of the memory, but Alexandra quickly shrugged it off. She had to do something about her best friend.

Her eyes finally landed upon a book on a shelf, and she quickly grabbed it in her hands. Alexandra hesitated, not wanting to hurt Christian. "Christian!" she shouted, hoping that he'd hear it past his barks and howls. Much to her annoyance, he began to claw at the ground. Alexandra cringed at the deep marks his claws made on the wood before making up her mind and throwing the book with all her might.