Chapter 9

The truck finally came to a stop, and the two men go out, I could hear their footsteps coming to the back. They began to open the back door of the truck and a beam of bright light broke opened. The light grew wider and brighter, I put my hand in front of my face to block the sun, then a man's voice spoke.

"Get out, now"

I didn't move.

"I said get out now!"

The man grabbed my arm and pulled me out. I stumbled out, but I caught my footing. He kept on pulling my arm, his grip was getting tighter, I wiggled my arm around and got my arm free.

I punch him straight in the nose and it started to bleed.

"Ow you little bit-" He was about to grab me again, but a voice caught his attention.

"That was quite a show!" Victor said in amusing voice. He pat the guy on the back, he then looked at me "your quite strong for your age, how old are you?". I didn't say anything. "Hmm I see. Well welcome to The Arena." He threw his hands up in the air, like he was showing his great prize possession. I looked all around it was quite big, there were soldiers everywhere all of them carrying weapons, there was a garage for the truck and also different scetions that  they labeled one through five.

"So" Victor clapped his hands together and smiled "now you know what the place looks like I know  the perfect place for you Chris?"

Chris nodded and Victor began to walk away.

Chris came at me with handcuffs, he grabbed one of my arms and put it behind my back. It hurt like hell.

"LET GO OF ME!" I yelled, kicking him in the shin.

"Ah, so she does speak". I turned and Victor gave me smirk and began to barking orders.

"Come on!" Chris said in anger.

This time, he got both of my arms behind my back and cuffed them together. Victor was watching me and began to make his stupid ugly smile, I just stood my ground and looked at him straight in the eye. He then said "Take her to section five".

Then Chris began to drag me, I planted my feet on the ground, which made it harder for him to pull. This guy was strong he picked me up and carried me all the way to section five and I kicked and yelled and tried to get out of his arms, but I couldn't. There was other people. Inside cages they were all dirty (more dirty than all of us I should say) there clothes were torn to shreds. They all look like they were here for days, months even. He put me down in front of a cage and he opened the door and threw me inside. I landed on my side the concrete was cold an  hard. He locked the door and looked at me I didn't break my eye contact from him and neither did he.

He made a low grunt "pathetic" and he walked away, the keys were dangling from his belt, and I could hear the tiny jingles getting fainter and fainter.

…^…^…^…^…^…^…^…^…^…^…^…^…^

I had to get out the handcuffs. I tried to squeezed my hands through, but it didn't work. I tried to break the chain, but no good either. I had no idea on how to get the cuffs off nor how to get out of this hell hole either. That's when the door opened again and this time Chris had someone with him. It was Gabriel. He looked different.  His clothes were different, his expression was different he didn't look normal. He pushed Gabriel in and said "get in there you filthy swine" Gabriel turned around to face him and  he said in hoarse tone "just like your mother!" He gave a weak laugh, and Chris punch him straight in the jaw and he fell to the floor. Chris shut the door and locked it and left. I went Gabriel his right side of his head was a bright red and tiny bits of blood was slowly coming into view.

"Gabriel?..Gabriel can you hear me? Gabriel?!" I pleaded.

Nothing. Not even a single whisper. My eyes stung of trying to hold back tears, but one single tear drop on to Gabriel's face. I wiped it off, then he opened his eyes and squinted them.

"A-Alex?" He voice was so low I could barely hear him.

"Yes! It's me!"

"Alex!" He sat up and threw his arms around me.

" I'm so glad to see you, I thought I would never see you again!" His voice seemed so eager. I smiled back at him.

I had so many questions to ask him.
Why are they after you?
Why did you leave?
What did they do to you?

I had so much thinking going on it made my head hurt. When suddenly Chris came back with dangling of keys, he went to one of the cages and grab one middle aged man and said to him "Welcome to the herd!" And the middle aged man pleaded "please no!, I don't want to be branded! No!" Then Chris took the man away.

"Branded? As in cattle branding?" I said to Gabriel.

He didn't say anything. I turned to him and he was sitting against the wall.

"Gabriel?, are you okay?" I went closer to him. Then over his left breast I could see some sort of dark shade color in a weird shape form.

"What's that?" I said pointing at it.

Gabriel looked at me in a way I have never seen before.

"You know what they do to people who joins there group called  The Herd?" I nodded my head no. " They brand them, like fucking cattle! And do you want to know what they do to the cow that escapes?". He uncovered his chest and there was a faded VC brand with a fresh new burn X on top of it. I was in shocked.

"Gabriel? I didn't know, God I'm sorry!"

"Have you had so much pain that you just wish that you wanted just to die right then and there?"

Gabriel looked down at his brand, and covered it back up. He sighed. I didn't say anything. So I thought to myself.
Man, that must've hurt like hell getting  burned, so much heat on the human skin. Damn.

The middle aged man came back, and he had a brand VC  on the back of his hand. You could tell it was still new the blood was

slowly dripping from his hand. He was put back in the cage and Chris looked back at me and said "Tomorrow will be your first day" then he left. "First day of what?" I said to Gabriel.

He looked at me and said,

"Training".