Chapter 2

It was  quite cold inside, better than the humidity outside. The building was quite big  I saw the barricaded entrance and old dusty shelves that have been knocked over . I still kept quiet because I wasnt sure if the place was empty. All of the shelves were picked clean , but I had to check just in case. I looked behind , top, and under the shelves everything WAS picked cleaned. My stomach growled really loud I held on to my stomach and kept on trying. When suddenly out of the corner of my eye there was a sliver can on the top shelf, I moved towards it and picked the can. It had some dust that covered the label , I wiped the dust off and the label said " Granny Smith's Apples" I grabbed my knife out of my pocket "Please don't be bad just for once" I say as I start to jabbed the blade in the can. When I finished cutting around the edges of the can I closed my eyes and grab the lid and slowly lifted it, I opened one of my eyes and there inside the can were perfectly sliced apples. I immediately grabbed one and put it in my mouth, the apples quenched my dry throat I kept on chewing the same piece, which seemed like forever. As I was about to reach another one, a loud croaky roar came to my left I quickly turned and there was one if those things staring straight at me. It had torn clothes, his legs were swollen and blood gushed out of them it's hands covered in blood. I clenched on to my knife, my heart in my throat, I set down the can and I was ready to fight. It made another roared and charged at me. It was snapping and snarling and swinging its arms all over the place. I dashed to the righted dodging its right arm swing it crashed into of the shelves and struggled to get back up. I knew I didn't have time to grab my hammer , these things are fast. It charged again this time I charged too we both were running at each other I held my knife up using my left hand I dodge it's left arm and brought the blade to its throat and I ripped all the way across. It's roared turn into a dying shriek it fell to the floor and I kicked it in the chest. I made sure it didn't move it's dark red blood was all over my gray converse " man!" I raised my foot up wiping the blood off " Tsh thanks!" I walked over were I put my can down, and it was all over the floor covered in the fresh dark blood. I sighed " Some birthday" I looked back at the body it's dark blood was everywhere. I went back to the window and go out of the store.  I continue walking down, passing abandoned trucks and cars some of them had broken windshields others had missing tires. I looked through them and I actually found a energy bar. I took off my backpack and put it inside. I seriously don't have anything inside just my hammer, and my family photo. I grabbed the photo and looked at it. My mom and dad and my older brother all of us were smiling my eyes stung as tears began to fill up my eyes. I turned it over and on the back it said " Alex were so proud of you never stop fighting we love you" I smiled "love you too". I put everything backed and when I looked up I saw something shiny pretty far away , but it was coming close fast. As it got closer I realized what it was, it was a military truck coming in my direction.