chapter 14.

Picture of Queen Insun.

~Watercolur

chapter 14.

          “Why the gloomy face?” says a voice breaking Aria from her thoughts.  She looks up and sees Prince Yun staring down at her.  She is sitting in her garden under a shaded tree.  She had been going over the events that had conspired between her and Min Woo the day before. Aria still feels hurt on how the King had not trusted her and treated her as if she knew nothing.

            “Nothing,” Aria mumbles turning away as Prince Yun sits beside her.

            “Come on,” he says chuckling.  “There must be something going on inside that head of yours if your usual boldness is making you this meek.”

            Slightly giving him a backwards glance, she sighs before finally complying to him.  As she fully faces him, he sets something in her lap.  It’s a beautifully carved bow.  It is smaller than the one she had been using.  “Why…” she starts turning to him with wide eyes.

            “It’s lighter than the one you’ve been using.  Try it out,” he urges as he nods his head towards it.

            Picking it up, Aria notes how surprisingly light it is.  “Wow!”  Her eyes brighten as she looks at him while a beam manifests her face.

            “You’ll still need to build up your muscles, because the string will be difficult to pull, but it will certainly be easier for your female frame,” Prince Yun explains with a serious look.  Then smiling, he adds, “Why don’t we go shoot some arrows to loosen up your pent up frustration that’s written all over your face?”

            A month later, Min Woo finds out if Myung Wol was telling him the truth or not.  “Your Majesty, my men and I have found out that Governor Han was planning a revolt with the commoners to attack Hanyang,” says his secret royal inspector, “He would hold secret meetings with the noblemen of the province to overthrow you and put either Prince Yun or Prince Yangwon on the throne.  Then he would send his men to all the villages of the province with false information that the rest of Joseon is starving and that Your Majesty is storing most of the food in the capital and not willing to share it with the others.” 

            Upon hearing this, Min Woo clenches his hands and frowns as anger seethes inside him.  So, Myung Wol was right all this time.  He feels guilty for not having believed her and angry that his own people would actually try to take his throne away from him, especially to Governor Han for misleading them!  The secret royal inspector gives Min Woo the list of men part of the treason.  Looking it over, his hands are practically shaking from uncontained rage as he clutches the sides of the paper.  “Send the army to arrest Governor Han and any other man involved in the revolt!” Min Woo bellows to Hwan, who bows and walks out of the room.  But before he leaves, the King hands his friend the decree first and the list of betrayers.

            When his bodyguard and the secret royal inspector leaves, Min Woo is left alone as his heart is rapidly beating still shocked at what he had just heard.  He buries his head in his hands now.  Myung Wol…I’m so sorry!  He still can’t understand though how she came across the information.  Tiredly, he rubs his eyes and calls for his eunuch, Nae Si.  “Let us go out.  I feel like I’m going to be suffocated in this room if I stay here any longer!” he exclaims as he stands up and begins to walk out of his study room. 

            “Yes, Your Majesty,” says his trustful advisor as he follows behind along with the other attendants.

            They begin to walk outside.  Min Woo heads for a bridge over a pond as his attendants and advisor stand back.  He looks sadly into the water as he sees his reflection.  He notes how tired and stressed he looks.  Almost older than his 27 years!  That thought almost scares him as he had not produced an heir yet.  He had not fulfilled his duty to his country as king yet.  He frowns and then starts back towards his attendants.  “Nae Si,” he says.