chapter 9.

Picture of Prince Yun.  Song Joong Ki from Sungkyunkwan Scandal.  Another perfect person for this part like Lee Seo Yeon for Queen Insun.

~Watercolur

chapter 9.

          Leaving practically everything behind in Tohwadong, Old Man Shim and Aria travel to the capital of Joseon, Hanyang (now Seoul), where the King’s main palace is located.  In her hand she carries the talisman as she is carried in a palanquin while Old Man Shim is in another.  Actually going to the palace seems like a frightening experience to Aria.  She knew she would encounter many cruel people.  And that thought is what frightens her the most, but the palace could be the key for her to be able to home again.

            Upon entering the palace after traveling through Hanyang, Aria peeked through the curtains and sees Guenjeongjeon, she remembers the tourist saying it was the throne hall where the King and his officials would conduct state affairs.  She notices the palanquin being set on the ground with a soft thud.  She steps out and looks at her surroundings.  She is now in a place quite familiar to her now.  It was the last place she went to back in her own time.  Her heart starts beating fast with excitement.

            “Myung Wol?” Old Man Shim calls out. 

            “Yes, Father?” Aria says as she goes over to him and takes his arm.

            A court lady, several palace maids, and a few eunuchs came up to them and bowed.  “Are you Shim Woon Taek and Shim Myung Wol?” asks the lady.

            “Yes,” Aria answers bowing her head.

            “I’m Lady Jang.  His Majesty has sent us here to show you your residence and to take care of you and your father,” she says bowing again. 

            “Ah…thank you,” Aria says raising her eyebrows.  She is actually going to be served by servants?  That was a first!  She is sure it would be awkward as she is not used to something like this.

            “If you will follow us, Mi’lady.”  Lady Jang gestures with her hands for them to follow.

            “Has Mr. Shim and Myung Wol arrived yet?” Min Woo asks Hwan as he paces back and forth in his study room where he does most of his work.  When he had heard that Mr. Shim and Myung Wol had agreed to come, he felt like his heart would fly away with happiness.  Since that morning, he hasn’t been able to fully concentrate on his work as he kept wondering if they would arrive safely.

            “We will hear of the news once Nae Si brings it, Your Majesty,” Hwan assures his friend who secretly smiles to himself seeing how Min Woo looks so anxious.  Very different than his usual cold self he was always putting on.

            “Your Majesty!” the eunuch cries coming into the room.

            “Nae Si!” exclaims the King grabbing his dear friend by the shoulders.  “Is everything alright?  Have they arrived safely?”  The poor eunuch, who had ran quite a long way to the King’s Quarters, is breathing quite heavily.  “Well?”  He practically shakes the eunuch.

            “Th-they h-have arrived safely…Your Majesty!”

            Upon hearing this, Min Woo’s eyes brighten like a child that has gotten a toy he had longed for.  “Are you sure?” he asks smiling widely.

            “Yes, Your Majesty.  I am sure!”

            Without thinking of anything else, Min Woo heads toward the door to see for himself.  But Hwan suddenly grabs his arm.  “What?” demands Min Woo with a slight anger tinting his voice.  He tries to grab it out of his friend’s grasp but Hwan doesn’t let go.