Chapter 3 | (P.1) Something Brewing

Start from the beginning

She looked at me nervously, fidgeting with her fingers. "Would you do that?" She whispered. "Is it selfish of me to ask?"

I reached out and took her shaking hands in my own and grasped them tightly as I stared into her eyes. "Not at all."

*

It didn't take long for me to secure what I needed, which wasn't much. I would go by myself and I had received secure information that the Air Prince Zalas had been spotted flying over the ocean that divided the Air Kingdom from the Earth Kingdom. The knowledge gave me mixed feelings, satisfaction that he had finally decided to do something instead of sitting by in his lofty tower in the clouds, but also anger. He had no right to look for her, that duty should be left to those who actually cared for her. However the latter did not hold well for me, for I too had betrayed her. I had kept information from her and omitted the truth because of my own selfish feelings. I had wanted her for myself but now she could very well be gone from me forever.

These thoughts were ones that I had already been over many times and joining them was the decision that Zalas was the best to first approach with the information about his sister. I would have to be careful though in case he was in on it, but something about the way she, the Princess Aranel, had confessed to her crime in the meadow made me think that it was a burden she was shouldering alone.

'On the way, I would look for Circe. After all, hadn't I told her that as long as was near water, I would be able to find her? And I would find her, it would be more difficult this time, that I already knew, because I was not privy to her location like I had been when she was travelling through the Earth Kingdom, but the ocean was not skilled with the art of secret keeping, it boasted too freely of the treasures it held within its watery grasp. All one had to do was listen and wait. I would find her.

I had to shake Katarina first though, which I did by slipping into yet another guarded room and then, while she waited outside, exited through one of the many secret passages. I paused for a moment, changing my hair from blue to brown and adjusting my human features slightly so that they would not be recognisable before swiftly making my way out of the castle as quietly as I could.

It was difficult to keep an unfamiliar form for so long and it was with some relief upon reaching the docks that I let the facade drop completely. A quick check with the guards informed me that I had not been followed. There was no time to waste and with a nod of farewell, I slipped into the ocean, my human form melting away as I embraced my heritage and struck out for the Earth Kingdom with unparalleled pace. It wouldn't take me long. I would gather information as I went.

*

KATARINA

I was fuming. I knew this wasn't going to work but that stupid brat Princess had insisted that I try things her way first. This was twice now that she had fucked up, well at least where I was concerned anyway.
First when she had tried to marry me off to her brother, that had been a disaster, he didn't even buy it for a second but I had foolishly put my faith in her and what she had been offering and left behind Ambrose and our future together. And now she had misjudged again, although I hadn't. I told her that there was no way he would have me back, but it had been even worse than expected, he hadn't even given me a second glance. Somehow he had figured out that I had an agenda, although I wasn't sure what he thought that agenda was.

I stared at the guard who had closed the gate to the docks and was refusing to let me through. It took all of my strength not to punch him in the face, but I had kept my slate clean so far and I wasn't about to make myself a fugitive.