8. Rumor Has It

Monday

I rubbed the sleepiness out of my eyes and slammed my hand on my beeping alarm clock. I'm not a fan of Monday's, but I'm pretty sure no one is.

Going through my usual morning routine, I thankfully made it out of the door with enough time to stop for some breakfast.

Pulling into Dunkin' Donuts, there was more people than usual. I guess everyone else woke up early for breakfast too.

I walked in the crowded restaurant and stood in line, impatiently tapping my foot on the floor as I waited.

As I finally reached second in line, I turned my head for a split second and hear a splatter on the floor.

"Hey thanks for standing so fucking close you bit- Annalise?"

I quickly turned and looked into those oh-so familiar blue eyes and gasped.

"Eli?!"

"Anna! Oh my gosh!"

She pulled me into a strong hug completely forgetting the fact that there was a huge mess of coffee underneath our feet.

"Look, I'm soooo sorry," she repeated, shaking her head and reaching for napkins on the counter.

"Still as clumsy as always," I teased.

The worker looked completely annoyed, but Eli didn't seem to care. Yet alone, notice.

"Let me buy you something, please!"

"Oh, it's totally fine, if anything, I should buy something for you!"

I order my donut and two coffees; one for me and one for her as well.

"I just don't even know what to say.. This is so weird, I'm in shock!" I laughed.

"Yeah, we finally moved back!" She exclaimed.

The worker handed me the coffees and donut with an annoyed look on his face.

"Just take it, no charge."

I thanked him but left them a tip anyway.

"Wow, I have so much to catch up on you with, but right now I really have to get to school."

"I go to school here too," she smirked. I hand her the coffee and she takes it without refusal, thanking me a dozen times.

"No way," I gasped. "We need to catch up so badly!"

We exchanged numbers, quickly deciding to hang out as soon as possible.

Now, you are probably wondering who Eli is, right? Well, I'll tell you. Eli, or Elizabeth, was my childhood best friend. We grew up next door to each other and went to the same school always. But it wasn't until the end of grade eight when she had to move for her father's job. We pretty much lost contact since then, which was sad but understandable. I thought she was going to come back last year but I heard no news of her then. I'm so happy she's here this year!

Arriving to school as usual, I smile at Eugene when I walked in. He gives me a small smile back and I am caught by surprise when I see the girls already in the classroom.

"Hey Anna," Ashley squeaked.

"Good morning girls, how was your weekend?"

"Great." Chelsea says flatly.

I raised a brow at her then turned to Ashley, who shrugged.

"Mine was good, but that's not important right now. We kind of have to talk to you about something.."