(1) Guilty Crush

Peyton's POV

If there was one thing I hated more than school, it was maths. Seriously. For the past five years it had been my mission in life to make my maths teacher's life hell, ever since I was twelve and he had publicly embarrassed me. Mr Briant had the unfortunate pleasure of having me in his class every year since he made me look like an idiot. As consequence, on a daily basis, I liked to make him look like one.

"We've got Mr Briant, next." My best friend, Sebastian, said as the two of us sauntered down the corridor. I nodded. I knew we had maths next, how could I ever forget? It was a new term to the school year, the last year we'd have to spend in school before we were finally released into the world and allowed to go to university. 

I flashed a devious smile at Sebastian. "I know; I've got a welcome back party sorted out for him."

Sebastian couldn't help but smile back, but his eyes rolled at me. "I bet it's going to be a real treat."

"It is. You know he always turns on that freaking annoying ceiling fan, with the high-pitched buzz?" Sebastian nodded in confirmation that, yes, he knew what I was referring to. "Well, I've placed a bucket on one of the wings. It's pretty well hidden and even I can't see it when I look at the fan, but the point is when he turns it on the bucket should be in the ideal position to soak him in water!" My laugh was cheeky, and Sebastian high-fived me. 

"Oh, this is going to be awesome."

I clutched my folder against my chest, my look one of disdain. "I hope so; I actually had to do maths to work the angles and stuff."

Sebastian snorted as they stopped at his locker. "Kind of ironic, isn't it?"

"I guess." I said, shrugging.

Then, running a hand through his ash blonde hair, Sebastian looked at me, his hazel eyes sparkling with slight concern. It was easy to see why the girls fall over him, Sebastian was definitely attractive. "I don't want you to get in too much trouble, Peyton. I do worry about you, you know."

The two of us began walking towards their maths classroom and I playfully bumped my shoulder into Seb's. "I know." 

A sudden tap on my shoulder had me turning around and inwardly gawking at the woman in front of me: long, glossy red hair, gentle curls and mossy green eyes. She was slightly taller than me and as I looked her up and down, sadly obvious, I saw she wore a staff name-tag. I felt a small tug of disappointment.

Miss Willis? Man, she's a teacher? That's disappointing.

A smile was playing on her plump, pink lips, and the kindness she so eloquently emitted had my heart thumping like a cartoon.

"Sorry to bother you," She had said, her voice silky and kind. "I was just wondering if you could direct me to the maths office?"

I could not help but stare - you know when you see someone so hot, you can't not stare at them, and you find yourself squinting, mouth open and speechless because they don't seem real? That was me in that moment. I was nervous, and after an incoherent string of words, Sebastian nudged me and I shook my head, blushed, and returned the woman's smile. I pointed a finger in the direction I was heading. "It's down the hall, swing a left and then it's the third door on the right."

Miss Willis smiled back at me. "Oh, thank you so much. I thought I was going to be wondering around forever." She looked down, laughing to herself slightly. "The last boy I asked to give me directions just stared at me – I felt a bit awkward." She met my eyes. "I never even got a 'hello' from the poor lad."

I gave a light, fluffy laugh and tried to ignore the fact that if Sebastian hadn't nudged me, I would have done the same thing. "Boys, huh?"

"Boys." she agreed. The teacher held out the hand. "I'm Miss Willis, a new maths teacher here taking over after a Mr..." she hesitated. "You know, I don't remember his name..."